SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with your encouragement, I have decided to tackle the rear shocks on my 06 XC70. Got my tools, just need to make sure I have the parts I will need. Going with FCP- the Sachs shock vs Volvo? ($40 difference each). Any preference? The shock mounts are expensive...$190 each....I assume I will need them, don't want to do this twice! What about the shock plate and shock washer? Anyone done this job that can give me feedback on what parts to have on hand...Worst thing is to take it apart and find I "SHOULD" have bought this/ or that. A.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sachs are OEM, same as the Volvo ones UNLESS you have 4c.

You should not need rear shock mounts, they are solid pieces of metal. I wouldn't waste the cash since they do not support side to side movement, no bearings to wear.

I only replaced my shock.

The XC springs have a ton of tension, you will need something to hold the rear control arms down as far as possible for reinstallation. Some people use a jack and wedge it in, but that is NOT smart and could seriously injure you if you're not careful with placement. I second the official instructions, use a HIGH QUALITY ratcheting strap.

Here are the VIDA instructions if y a don't have them, you don't "need" most of the special tools:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NpiJNqHHdHnsQ64BDNyWBAzv3lKnNfXd/view?usp=sharing

If the OE instructions are too uninformative, look up replacing rear shocks for an S60/V70R (or any P2 AWD car) same exact thing except the springs are shorter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hearing a creaking, slight knocking in the rear. Thus, I thought it would be a mount. Are there other parts that would 'wear' ? And, yes, I read about the use of a strap. Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Could be the spring seats or maybe springs themselves, I don’t think there is an easy way to verify the mounts condition while it’s inside the car. It’s rare they break AFAIK. Also very possible it’s your rear endlinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts