SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how to deal with Bilstein B8 sport rear shock bumper stop?

When I test fitted the OEM bumper stop over the Bilstein piston rod it was very tight!
In theory it should not matter too much since if the shock reaches the bumper stop it should squeeze it anyway. Now if that happens more frequently I'm not sure what it would do...

Someone offered that link on an other thread: http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=10/CA=1
but my concerned is that it won't support the guard anymore the way it does right now.

What have you guys done with the rear bumper stop Bilstein or else?
Do you know other sources?
Should I just place it over tight and let it be squeeze if that happens? The OEM does not touch the rod much at all.

I know the front struts have a built in bumper stop but I don't think that is the case in the rear (especially since Bilstein installation instructions mentioned to put it back

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Greg, I wouldn't worry about the rears because there is a much beefier one built into the control arm as seen in this pic ion took for his rear spring install.
It's right next to the red box he drew, looks like a rubber cone.

Quite frankly, the front bump stops in the OEM front shocks would probably do nothing to 'stop' the shock bottoming out. It's so soft, it'll probably just get crushed.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So it's sounds like you guys recommend I still use the OEM bump stop? . . . Well It's really the only thing that holds the dust guard so no bump stop, no guard :( ...
FYI: I'm lowered on H&R spring and the shocks are Bilstein Sport so it could hit more often since the car is lowered (?)

I could try to drill it with a larger diameter but that rubbery foam is tough to cut clean.

Yep, I know that external bump stop. Good you mentioned that, aldebaran, because I wondering wish one would hit first :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts