SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the right rear shock absorber. Dealer and a service center say I can only use a Volvo part - nothing else made for this car. Is there another brand I could use? Volvo part runs about $650 + labor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: Rear shock absorber - can I use other than Volvo parts? (jsburns)

Do you have Nivomats? <p>The aftermarket for struts and shocks for the XC90 is really thin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rear shock absorber - can I use other than Volvo parts? (Bigjon)

I have no idea . How can I tell? I think these are the original shocks and the car has 80K on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Pinstripe)

I have the 3rd row, so that means I have Nivomats. What can I do about replacing them? Any alternative other than the super expensive parts?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
AFAIK Nivomat shocks require matched low-rate springs--this due to the nature of how the Nivomat hydromechanical self-leveling function works and why very soft springs are required--so if one wishes to ditch the Nivomat shocks for something cheaper, one's going to have to consider the additional cost of replacing the springs as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: (Dextrobrick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Dextrobrick</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AFAIK Nivomat shocks require matched low-rate springs--this due to the nature of how the Nivomat hydromechanical self-leveling function works and why very soft springs are required--so if one wishes to ditch the Nivomat shocks for something cheaper, one's going to have to consider the additional cost of replacing the springs as well.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>So are the rear springs different in those XC90 models equipped with Nivomats from the ones (i.e. 2.5T no third row) with std shocks?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Re: (Asfalto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Asfalto</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>So are the rear springs different in those XC90 models equipped with Nivomats from the ones (i.e. 2.5T no third row) with std shocks?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: (njb8199)

Check shox.com, they have a replacement shock/ spring package that is about the price of one rear Nivomat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts