SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our new XC90 for one week. So far we love it. However, last night I tried sliding the second row passenger seat to the rear. It would only move half way back. It feels like is being blocked or caught on something. I looked and could not see any obstructions. I vaguely recall someone else on this thread having a similar issue with some type of clip on the seat causing a problem. I could not find the post. I would hate to have go to the dealer to resolve. Especially, if it is do to user error. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the thread that dealt with the issue. Seems like the caps need adjusting.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...w-seats-getting-stuck&highlight=2nd+row+seats

Be cautious as the springs are reportedly quite powerful.

Thank you for saving me a trip. The quote from Shan:
"So after plenty fiddling around , I managed to get it to work consistently and on the first attempt after it gets stuck by doing the following: lifting the lever on the top of the seat AND applying a vertical force upwards AND applying a horizontal force upwards. Sounds complicated but basically push upwards and backwards simultaneously whilst lifting the lever on the top of the seat up"

This worked for me. I did notice the blonde plastic cap on the the front end of the outside rail is cracked.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The requirement for a simultaneous upward force while lifting the lever and pushing back suggests that the mechanism needs a slight adjustment. The cracked plastic cap suggests that it was catching. Glad to hear that you got it to work without a special trip.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
This is good to know for future reference. But will it recur?
I don't have my car yet, but hopefully others will post. I would expect a replacement of the broken cap and slight adjustment by the dealer should rectify the problem. Caveat: I keep my glass at least half full.;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Had this problem in my car, didnt see any "caps" that looked loose. Took it to the dealer they adjusted the mechanism. Few weeks later the problem came back, this time we got stranded since we had 7 passengers in the car and couldnt get the 1 seat back into position. It looks like there is a lever that is not making contact when you push the seat back that unlatches the top portion of the seat. Will be interesting what they do this time to fix it again. Seems like they need to make this lever stronger so it doesnt bend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What I mentioned earlier still stands on how to fix it when it gets stuck.
I took it in for the dealer to check it out, and what would you know, it works perfectly when the mechanic tried it.
What I did notice though when he did it is to prevent it from getting stuck in the first place, do not let the 3rd row occupant try and pull the 2nd row seat back into place. Just pulling on the headrest part is what made mine stuck. The driver/anyone else standing outside must push the seat back into position by pushing the base of the seat back AND NOT by pushing the headrest back or pulling on the headrest part from the 3rd row to prevent it from getting stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts