SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all 2008+ Volvo XC70s and V70s pre-wired for rear seat entertainment? When I build an XC70 on Volvo's website, I can choose the RSE as an option for $1800 or as an accessory for $1710. The accessory description says to check with your Volvo dealer for installation cost. I am wondering if the installation is a matter of swapping headrests and plugging in a wiring harness into an existing connector or if additional wiring is required.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (TRedVR6)

I would trust the guys at the factory to install it properly more than mechanics trained to work on engines. Besides, $90 is less than an hour of mechanic time at most dealers and getting it built in from the factory means its covered by the factory warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (BarentsBlueV50)

I'm not worried about the difference in price - none of my local dealers have any XC70's with RSE in stock. I'm wondering if it can be added easily to a car on a dealer's lot or if it involves them adding additional wiring. If the RSE is not a plug and play installation, I think we will consider ordering one with it installed from the factory.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I have it in my xc70 and if you've got a little one or two its great as well as their friends. They dont like using the headphones not because they're uncomfortable or anything rather the opposite in fact. Its just a case of they dont have to use them why have them on and if they're on they cant have a conversation with one anyone. Press the MODE (aux) dial knob on the radio/cassette headset and the sound comes through there, then use the fader control to have the sound coming through the rear and not the front and then you can think which does when your doing about 60 on an interstate. <p>The other thing is I dont know how the US cars are configured. That is, if the rear seat centre pull down cupholder/armrest is a standard feature or if its like it is over here an option. If you get the RSE BE SURE to get the rear seat pull down cupholder otherwise there are NO cupholders in the back. That way, as you wheel into your local SONIC hamburger joint (I do miss those burgers) order your burgers, handover the food to the kids and its just like the movies they can eat and drink till their little hearts content while watching terminator. Have a look at some pics on the NOTTHESTIG posts as I think he's got quiet a few of the rear armrest. <p>One more thing is that you might also consider getting the tinted glass as a factory option if you do day drives. the lcd screens are really bright but like any screen they fade in the sunlight. <p>Finally, even if they can do it at the dealer I wouldnt even consider it. I mean thats one of the reasons your buy a new car is that you know no ones made any mistakes at the shop on it. No loose wires no strange sounds (other than those you may get from this vehicle). I just cannot see how a dealer can do the neat job that the factory does. when you pop open the centre console you will see the dvd headunit and rca outlet plugs (yellow, white & red plugs like the ones you get on tv's and stereo's) and both are integrated into molded unit which is covered in a suedish/moleskin type of material. You dont see any wires for the unit at all and they must run from the headrest down the interior of the seat.<p>If your thinking of installing a playstation 2, then you will need an inverter (12 volt to 110 or whatever your country uses) as they're powered by mains. If you get the inverter go as low as you can as they can blow a fuse usually on the vehicle. <p>I dont know if they are pre-wired though at a guess I'm betting not. The vast majority of cars DO NOT have RCE and the ones that do are done in the factory. The main problem is the head unit though I figure. There might be power down there for the seats or something that they snap into I dont know. Having said, I would get it factory done. Oh thats right, I did!!<p>Cheers<br>Hatdriver<p>ps these things are especially good at football games as you can put on a movie open the esky and have a tinnie while you watch the carpark empty. <p>

·
Registered
10 Posts

I'm not sure about the specifics of the wiring connections, but we just had the dealer install the RSE in our new XC70. I negotiated a discount on the part with the dealer, which resulted in an installed cost of about $1,700 - I think that included a couple hours of labor.<p>The result looks great and as though it were installed at the factory. I'm guessing it's the same part and the same procedure. It's a swap out of the headrests, which aren't an exact match in styling, but look fine. Our car has black leather interior and the RSE headrest leather and stitching are an exact match to the factory interior.<p>Our kids (6 and 9) give the RSE system a big thumbs-up. They're fine with the headphones and we haven't told them it's possible to pump the audio through the car speakers. My only complaint is it's a little difficult to flip the monitors forward to access the DVD loading slot - it basically takes adult-level effort. I'm hoping that this gets better with use and isn't much of a complaint.

·
Registered
10 Posts

One other thing to consider. When I was doing research on RSE options, I very nearly bought a complete kit on eBay from a Volvo Dealer for the 2008 model, but it sounds as though there was a change in the part from 2008 to 2009. I gather that the wiring changed. Anyway, I very nearly had a great deal (NIB, it was $500), but it wasn't to be.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

My car has RSE and iPod adapter build in at the dealer. It is a lot of work and half the interior needs to come out. Also there was some hassle with the software and the iPod adapter needed 3 attempts on two separate visits to make it work. Dealer install is flawless but if possible I would order it from factory. For tax reasons in my country it is better to install the options after the car enters the country and has received it's license plates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (mathfuzzy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mathfuzzy</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure about the specifics of the wiring connections, but we just had the dealer install the RSE in our new XC70 .... The result looks great and as though it were installed at the factory ... I'm guessing it's the same part and the same procedure ... My only complaint is it's a little difficult to flip the monitors forward to access the DVD loading slot</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The factory installed RSE has the DVD player inside the front armrest (not behind the monitors like the dealer installed ones). IMO, it would be a better option to have RSE factory installed instead of dealer installed.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (Swiper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Swiper</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>The factory installed RSE has the DVD player inside the front armrest (not behind the monitors like the dealer installed ones). IMO, it would be a better option to have RSE factory installed instead of dealer installed. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>My dealer installed RSE player is in the armrest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (Johann)

Interesting. The picture on the U.S. Volvo car configuration page makes it looks like it's the same dual headrest monitor solution. In any event, without a special order, it seems to be an uncommon option in US car dealer inventory.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (mathfuzzy)

Doesn't the factory one have only one DVD player, whereas dealer installed there's a DVD player in each monitor, so technically two different movies can be played?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Rear Seat Entertainment (Lotus99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Lotus99</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't the factory one have only one DVD player, whereas dealer installed there's a DVD player in each monitor, so technically two different movies can be played?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Correct. Actually, the port-installed RSE mirrors the one that can be installed at the retailer but not the one at the factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts