SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get occasional instrument-panel text warnings, "Rear Position Lights Failure," or something like that, about once a month. Does this happen to anybody else? Last time it happened, I got out and looked at the taillights, and indeed the left one was only half-on. (Lights around the edge were lit, central lights were dark.). There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bulbs, since they routinely come back on soon. Not a big deal, but I suspect it may be one of those impossible-to-reproduce failure modes if I take it in for service.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
It happened with me once recently when it was bitter cold here in Michigan. The "rear position lights failure" error popped up along with "check rear suspension" when I started the car at 5 AM and went away in 10-odd seconds and has never popped up ever again. Me, being the smartest person in the world, had driven the car through a car-wash the previous evening.

My guess is the sensor going temporarily bonkers 'coz of the cold and snow/ice covering them. I also got it checked with my dealership and they did not find any stored error messages.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
Bumping this thread as the winter season is back in Michigan and with it the "Rear Position Light Malfunction" error on my V90CC.

It showed up as soon as I started my car today morning while driving to work. It was around 30 deg F. Just now while driving back home, the message popped up again, outside being about 27 deg F. Last year I did not find any actual fault with the rear lights so never bothered taking it up with the Dealership but today morning, a colleague who was parking his car beside mine, told me that my rear lights were acting funny when I was braking and reversing to get into the spot, and I connected the dots from there.

Anybody else seen this error message/issue on their Volvo? If yes, was the dealership contacted, and did they come up with a solution/replacement, or does a TJ exist for this error?

@Tech and @Gunshow, any insight on this issue?

I have my 50k mile service next Monday, so I will bring this issue up with my SA but trying to gain more info for now. Also, have my yearly 5k mile cross-country road-trip coming up next weekend and would hate to have this issue pop up while on the trip!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Bumping this thread as the winter season is back in Michigan and with it the "Rear Position Light Malfunction" error on my V90CC.

It showed up as soon as I started my car today morning while driving to work. It was around 30 deg F. Just now while driving back home, the message popped up again, outside being about 27 deg F. Last year I did not find any actual fault with the rear lights so never bothered taking it up with the Dealership but today morning, a colleague who was parking his car beside mine, told me that my rear lights were acting funny when I was braking and reversing to get into the spot, and I connected the dots from there.

Anybody else seen this error message/issue on their Volvo? If yes, was the dealership contacted, and did they come up with a solution/replacement, or does a TJ exist for this error?

@Tech and @Gunshow, any insight on this issue?

I have my 50k mile service next Monday, so I will bring this issue up with my SA but trying to gain more info for now. Also, have my yearly 5k mile cross-country road-trip coming up next weekend and would hate to have this issue pop up while on the trip!
Does it seem like there's any moisture that has gotten inside the taillight housing?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
Does it seem like there's any moisture that has gotten inside the taillight housing?
Haven't looked at the tail lights carefully. I will check it out tomorrow and update here! I did read a couple of FB posts on the Volvo group talking about the tail lights being replaced as moisture has gotten into them.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
Ok. So an eventful day today!

Clicked on VoC to start the car and get it warm enough, and there was a "Replace Blubs" message on the app homepage. It says the light bulbs need replacing but does not mention which ones specifically. Remote started the car and drove about 40 minutes to work with no error message or any misbehavior. SA called around 8 AM, and I explained to him the entire situation again.

He opened up a slot for tonight to drop off my V90CC instead of Monday. Since morning, I have been in and out of the car at least six times, and every single time the same warning popped up.

Drove to the dealership a couple of hours back and asked the SA to sit and start the car, and the message popped up again. He noted everything down.

He's going to give me a call tomorrow and let me know what's wrong with the Vehicle.

I will update here when I hear back from him tomorrow.

@nbvolks - Checked both tail lights and the third brake light for any moisture/cracks/deposit, and they are clean and clear as brand new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had a similar thing happen on our V90CC today. Car has only been in the States for 2 weeks (an OSD car), so less than 600 miles. It's cool here in MN (0degF tonight), and I got a "Left Turn Signal Bulb" message. Everything was and is working correctly, although the best way that I can describe it is that the turn signal "skipped" a blink. It's as though it missed one, and then set the warning. Has only happened once.

Curious to see what your dealer tells you.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
So, the SA just called and turned out; the error message was due to a software glitch. He updated the Sensus software to the latest available version and also performed my 50k mile service. He says the software update should take care of it, and I won't see the error message again.

I'll be picking up my car later today and will provide more info once I have access to my Job sheet. :beer:

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
So I went in to pick up the car yesterday evening, and the moment I sat in the car and turned it on, the error popped up again. Luckily the SA was nearby, so I showed him that. He went looking for the Tech, but he had left for the day, I'm guessing.

Anyways, he checked-in my Vehicle again and will update me probably today or Monday!

Kind of pissed me off at first, but I give them the full benefit of the doubt this time. Also, the SA was very apologetic. Sh!t happens.

I was more irritated about having to drive 110 miles (to and from the dealership) in peak hour traffic, which took me more than two hours for nothing!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
Ok. So today's update. The SA contacted Volvo and asked for troubleshooting with the error. Volvo asked them to replace my driver's side tail-light. The part was on national backorder. The SA, at the last minute, managed to source the part somehow and replaced the taillight. Everything is working perfectly now.
They also re-calibrated my BMS as the start-stop had again stopped working after a recent battery replacement. Everything seems to work correctly now, and I'm finally ready for my 5k road trip starting tomorrow!

·
Registered
2019 Volvo V90 CC D5
5 Posts
Greetings from South America. Today with 19125 kms (11883 miles) I had the "rear position light malfunction" warning. I just did the annual service (or 20.000 kms) at local dealer. I will take the car on Monday. Will see....

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Greetings from South America. Today with 19125 kms (11883 miles) I had the "rear position light malfunction" warning. I just did the annual service (or 20.000 kms) at local dealer. I will take the car on Monday. Will see....
Hola! I recently had that warning, water had entered the right taillight mounted on the hatch, an easy and inexpensive fix. Look for water/humidity evidence in all four lights, you might discover which one is failing.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo V90 CC D5
5 Posts
Confirm at dealership water ingress to right lamp. The battle of changing under warranty has started.

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate

Hola! I recently had that warning, water had entered the right taillight mounted on the hatch, an easy and inexpensive fix. Look for water/humidity evidence in all four lights, you might discover which one is failing.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There is a Russian shop that posted about that recently. Seems to be a common problem of nuts loosening in the taillights with a gap... I don't get why it's not in their preventive maintenance or bulletin?

http://instagr.am/p/CVlBfCSocIJ/
Below translation from Google
Code:
revolvoru We undertake a variety of types of work, ranging from ordinary and ending with complex painting work. For example, on a large number of Volvo V90 Cross Country, over time, the tightening of one of the nuts that hold the taillight becomes loose. This leads to an increase in the gap between the lamp and the body, and a small free play of the lamp. It is better to notice this in a timely manner and tighten the loosened nut.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
From what I have learned after owning my V90CC for 3+ years and seeing the Rear position failure warning multiple times is,

The rear tail-light assemblies are allergic to water intrusion. Keep/Drive the Vehicle in heavy rain for hours and days, and the error seems to pop up. My most recent error came up about a month ago when my vehicle was parked outside in heavy rains for two long days. The error magically went away after I parked the car in the garage and let the light assembly/connectors drain off all the water (dry itself off).

This issue is further exaggerated when it's cold, and water/moisture is present around the connectors. I've also had this issue multiple times when I have washed the car and then let the car sit overnight in below-freezing temperatures. The water ices up around the connector (maybe) and the next day, when I startup, I have the error.

At least that's my theory. Temporary high water pressure while washing might be ok, but regular water contact seems to cause this error sooner rather than later. Also, the freezing climate appears to accelerate this issue.

I'm wiser now and do not plan to pressure wash my car every other weekend in the coming winter months. Also, I will not be parking out in the open where the car is exposed to snow, rain, and moisture for an extended period of time. Hopefully, that should help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok thank you everyone but still I don't know where the problem is. Did we talk about the light at the hatch or at the pistil, or maybe the problem is here and here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same problem happened today. What's weird. The light is working correctly when opening the car (as follow home lights etc), but when i start the engine, error pops up and right position light stops working.

Wysłane z mojego ONEPLUS A6003 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did You have to take of the rear bumper or just plastic covers inside the trunk?

Wysłane z mojego ONEPLUS A6003 przy użyciu Tapatalka

1 - 20 of 22 Posts