SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I replaced the rear pads just now and the problem I am facing is that my car won't move because the rear brakes are engaged. I was able to move it but I can feel the rear end brakes are locked.

When I compressed the pistons in all the way, was I supposed to remove some of the brake fluid too? I don't know why it's doing this. Did I F something up? Any help asap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

-Al

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the brake pistons ain't seized... Try to to open the brake fluid cover and see if you can compress the pistons.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the brake pistons ain't seized... Try to to open the brake fluid cover and see if you can compress the pistons.
Pistons were fully compressed And cap was open when I put in the new pads. The brakes where working fine before I changed out the pads. Also while I was working on the pads I had the e-brake engaged. Could the e-brake be stuck somehow?

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also the more I keep tryin. To accelerate the harder it gets to move.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Something is wrong. This should be an easy job with minimal opportunity for stuffing it up. How does your hand brake feel? You can usually tell if it is releasing by feel. As in the tension, clicks etc.... When you replaced the pins did they go back in easy? Did you follow the ss guides and deviate at all? What pads are you using? Did you wash the car before you did the brakes? The hand brake can stick if applied when the wheels are wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

·
Registered
998 Posts
Did you keep the cap OPEN when compressing pistons? Also, check and ensure that your parking brake is fully released. Also, did you get compatible brake pads? If you got ones that are too thick, could be a problem too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you change the rotors too? or just the pads? Check out the tension on the e brake cable. Its also possible that you've got stuck shoes if you did not change them. Seems to be a big issue with these cars.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something is wrong. This should be an easy job with minimal opportunity for stuffing it up. How does your hand brake feel? You can usually tell if it is releasing by feel. As in the tension, clicks etc.... When you replaced the pins did they go back in easy? Did you follow the ss guides and deviate at all? What pads are you using? Did you wash the car before you did the brakes? The hand brake can stick if applied when the wheels are wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Well, redid everything in the back.. Again went smooth.. Question. The wheels in the back, should they move freely when the car is in Neutral? The drivers rear moved freely while the passenger side rear was locked like it was in park (when I lifted the rear end). Seems the passenger side rear is the problem. Maybe both but the other side doesnt' look like this. If this continues I may put in my old pads again. Here is a picture of what it looked like when I tried to move it.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Rears should move freely in neutral, yes without the parking brake.

Looks like one of your pistons has seized up in the rear. Try depressing it again and check for brake fluid leaks from the seals. You may need to disassemble the caliper for further inspection. Brake pads should not do this as the pistons should have been "depressed" prior to installing new brake pads.

When you remove the caliper, is it stuck on the rotor? if not and slides out freely, then it's the parking brake. It might have delaminated when you were working on your regular brakes (ya, what a coincidence).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If your hand brake was stuck that amount of force should have released it. Gentle rocking is usually enough. Did you try putting the old pads in to see what happens?

DevolvR - how could the piston seize if he pushed them in to replace the pads? Assuming when he pumped the brakes before reversing the piston may be sticking and not releasing. Dunno.....

o2k take the wheel off and look if the pads are releasing from the disk.

LOL never mind DevolvR - shazam!

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah the rear passenger does not move when it in in N. That was without any pads. Let me take some pics for you guys and well as a vid maybe. Ill drop in the old pads to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Well. Key is, is the caliper / brakes causing the wheel to seize or is it the Parking brake?

In neutral, wheel should spin freely. Both parking brake and the caliper if malfunctioned can seize it. So you need to figure out what it is. It can only be one or the other(or if your insanely unlucky; both)

1. Remove your wheel
2. Remove brake caliPer by removing the 2 bolts.
a. If brake caliper removes with little effort and comes off the rotor disc. Try rotating the rotor with your hands, if it's still stuck. It's the parking brake. Remove rotor to confirm..
B. If your brake caliper is insanely hard to remove and does not slide off without hammering very hard. Then caliper needs to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I took a few vids... It really looks like the E-brake on the passenger rear is locked in place. Here are a few vids to show why I think that is. I could be very wrong too! Click on pics for video.

Passenger Rear

Driver's Rear without E-Brake

Driver's Rear with E-Brake

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well, redid everything in the back.. Again went smooth.. Question. The wheels in the back, should they move freely when the car is in Neutral? The drivers rear moved freely while the passenger side rear was locked like it was in park (when I lifted the rear end). Seems the passenger side rear is the problem. Maybe both but the other side doesnt' look like this. If this continues I may put in my old pads again. Here is a picture of what it looked like when I tried to move it.

Damn, that is sooo bad for the car and tire..

·
Registered
751 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts