SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a stupid question but I don't know so here goes...what if one was to remove the rear muffler on a 2004 S-60R and simply continue the 2 exhaust pipes from front and connect to the tail pipes left just behind muffler where you would cut off muffler...of course it would be done professionally and in stainless..anyone ever done that. Looks like a 20lb. at least weight gain and my muffler outer skin is getting pretty ratty looking and other than that the car looks like new under it...yes I will replace it if needed but wondered how it would sound and if any performance gains or decreases...thanks for any input

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: rear muffler (laundrypers)

I've done this, and my muffler now hangs up in the rafters of my garage. Haven't weighed it, but it is definately heavy. I don't believe there is any performance gain. The car sounds a little agricultural (meaning unrefined) at idle, but as the revs climb, it sounds awesome, to borrow a Jeff Gordon phrase. The exhaust pop is much more pronounced, and you hear much more exhaust burble when lifting off the gas to slow down. The shop that welded-in pipes in place of my muffler did a really crappy job, and I will need to have it redone, or a whole new cat-back, before my next PA state inspection in December. I still run the resonator, but I will do away with that if I go the new cat-back route. The interior of my VR is pretty boomy on the highway with the windows up, so that is the biggest drawback of removing the muffler. Doesn't bother me too much, but I feel bad about subjecting my wife and 2-year-old daughter to the heavy pressure on the eardrums.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

RideR did it on his VR. <p>It's much louder than removing the resonator, which is much more common.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: rear muffler (Needsdecaf)

thanks for the input...I am sort of undecided. My wife and I go on a few 600 mile plus drives on our 401 highway(compares to your interstate) and then into upstate N.Y. and I cruise usually at about 130k/hr and at steady throttle do you think it would irritate myself or her?? I've always thought that this car lacked exhaust noise and would like some. When you say unrefined at idle I had a friend that did something to his 1996 R sedan and I always joked it sounded like a coffee percolater(however its spelled) sounded horrible. Do you mean a bad sound at idle?? I have a K&N filter and cold air kit and the I.P.D. software which did increase boost to 20lbs. but after the winter for some reason it goes to 20 and then backs off to mabe 16 or 17 and I haven't figured that out yet..installed I.P.D. T.C.V. and was worse so went back to stock for now thanks again for any input

·
Registered
418 Posts

If you will be going on long cruises, I would recommend NOT removing the muffler. You might not mind, but your wife might be unhappy. I don't know if you have children or not, but if you have a baby in the future, you won't want to subject an infant to the pressure on the eardrums you get running without a muffler. Just last night, my 2 year-old daughter said that she doesn't like my V70R because it is too loud. So there you go. I very rarely take my VR for long drives. We use the LS430 for that. Or the S80 if weather is bad.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Re: rear muffler (MAC1LSR)

If I can pick up someone's unused OEM exhaust, I plan on removing the muffler and resonator from that and using it as a track-day exhaust. Or maybe leave it on most of the time and only go back to the original exhaust with OEM muffler for longer trips...

·
Registered
658 Posts
With my new exhaust my car is pretty quiet at right around 2500 rpm's as long as you're cruising, under no load. Don't know if this compares whatsoever with what you're wanting to do.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (firehawk618)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>firehawk618</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With my new exhaust my car is pretty quiet at right around 2500 rpm's as long as you're cruising, under no load. Don't know if this compares whatsoever with what you're wanting to do.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Completely different. Your exhaust is larger, and has a muffler.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>laundrypers</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the input...I am sort of undecided. My wife and I go on a few 600 mile plus drives on our 401 highway(compares to your interstate) and then into upstate N.Y. and I cruise usually at about 130k/hr and at steady throttle do you think it would irritate myself or her?? I've always thought that this car lacked exhaust noise and would like some. When you say unrefined at idle I had a friend that did something to his 1996 R sedan and I always joked it sounded like a coffee percolater(however its spelled) sounded horrible. Do you mean a bad sound at idle?? I have a K&N filter and cold air kit and the I.P.D. software which did increase boost to 20lbs. but after the winter for some reason it goes to 20 and then backs off to mabe 16 or 17 and I haven't figured that out yet..installed I.P.D. T.C.V. and was worse so went back to stock for now thanks again for any input</TD></TR></TABLE><p>If you want a little more growl, but no resonance and no issues on the highway, remove the center resonator. Search for JRL mod, 100's of posts and probably sound clips as well. <p>Plus you avoid the possibility of rain squeal. <p>My wife drove the R for 3 years and never had an issue with the JRL modded exhaust. We just did a 550 mile plus round trip over July fourth weekend with our 2 year old and no issues...he watched his videos just fine!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: rear muffler (Needsdecaf)

thanks for your suggestion I may try that...I really don't understand why it would get so loud with rear muffler removed as far as inside the car is concerned if properly welded up and exit the rear exactly as it does now?? but then thats why I asked..guess I'm getting bored with the R as it will soon be 5 yrs. old in sept. with 60 miles on it now but Volvo has nothing in their line up to interest me except possibly the S80 V-8 but then no more standard shift and I love it on my R oh well guess I'll just have to drive it and wait for a possible hot version of something for 2011 thanks<br>

·
Registered
418 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>laundrypers</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for your suggestion I may try that...I really don't understand why it would get so loud with rear muffler removed as far as inside the car is concerned if properly welded up and exit the rear exactly as it does now?? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Meant to answer your above question earlier. I have the wagon, so with no muffler, the sound resonates (if that is the proper term) inside of the cabin, especially from 2,000-2,500 RPM. Gets worse with larger throttle openings. If I want to ease the pressure on my ears, OPENING a window helps greatly. I've always wondered if there is less resonance in the S60R, because of the smaller cabin.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>laundrypers</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.I really don't understand why it would get so loud with rear muffler removed as far as inside the car is concerned if properly welded up and exit the rear exactly as it does now??<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Why would you think otherwise?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts