SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed my rear hatch was unlatching. If the key is removed and the car is unlocked it will uunlatching sporadically as if I am pushing on the actual button on the hatch. It does it also when I start the car. It will not do it if the doors are all locked. Searching comes up with the latch not working butiI haven't found any on it working too much! Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
It's got to be the button/switch in the tailgate sending the unlock pulse. Or maybe some other glitch along the line that does the same thing. Locking the car suppresses the unlatch, so that part makes sense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like the switch is shorting out. When mine died, and wouldn't open, it did a rapid open/shut a few times. Changing it out is easy, even for a non mechanic like me. Bonus is the licence lamp holders are part of the switch. The contacts on mine were corroded right off. All of this was probably caused by the crumbled rubber gasket that went around the cover letting water and salt in. I siliconed it on after the repairs were done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to follow up. It started to not unlatch on occasion. Switched the micro switch out and all is fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My car did that once. It was because the wires frayed and got crossed inside of the flexi-cable that goes between the body of the car and the trunk lid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts