SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see it in the manual... Is there a rear fog light in the XC40?

My 11 S60 and 13 XC60 has it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is.. it's the 2 lights built into the bumper. I think it actually looks pretty good when they're on.

I thought they were just reflectors for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Pg 148 of manual

Rear fog light
The rear fog light is considerably brighter than
ordinary taillights and should only be used to
help other road users see the vehicle when visibility
is reduced by conditions such as fog,
snow, smoke or dust.
Rear fog light button.
The rear fog light consists of a light on the rear
of the vehicle on the driver's side.
The rear fog light can only be used when:
• the ignition is in II mode or when the engine
is running and the lighting ring is in position
or .
• the lighting ring is in the position and
the front fog lights are on.
Press the button for On/Off. The symbol in
the instrument panel illuminates when the rear
fog light is on.
The rear fog light turns off automatically when:
• the start knob is turned clockwise to turn off
the ignition or when the lighting ring is
turned to the position.
• the lighting ring is in the position and
the front fog lights are turned off.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I think it's a great feature.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome shots!

In my S60, there was only one on the driver side.

·
Registered
55 Posts
and the thing is that they’re standard across the board but front fogs are optional. go figure. ive never used the back fog lights.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't know how things are in your country, but in Europe rear fog light(s) are a legal requirement.
Is requirement that vehicle be equipped with them, or are they required to be "on", like daytime running lights?
Being mandatory in Europe explains why US vehicles have them...cheaper to equip all vehicles with them than to add or delete depending on final destination of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried this last night. Your picture looks like the fogs are red. I always thought would be white or yellow. Just to confirm, the rear fogs are red, right?
Yes... rear fogs are red.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried this last night. Your picture looks like the fogs are red. I always thought would be white or yellow. Just to confirm, the rear fogs are red, right?
White would be bad. It would confuse cars behind you because they would think either it was an oncoming vehicle or that you were reversing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
White would be bad. It would confuse cars behind you because they would think either it was an oncoming vehicle or that you were reversing.
Either way, it'll certainly help alert drivers. The red more likely makes me think that the driver is pressing the brakes. I was thinking the rear fog lights were just to aid in reversing during foggy conditions if the normal reverse lights are not sufficient especially since they have to be turned on as opposed to being automatic. Kudos to Volvo for including them in our XC40's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Either way, it'll certainly help alert drivers. The red more likely makes me think that the driver is pressing the brakes. I was thinking the rear fog lights were just to aid in reversing during foggy conditions if the normal reverse lights are not sufficient especially since they have to be turned on as opposed to being automatic. Kudos to Volvo for including them in our XC40's.
In most places rear facing white lights (other than reverse lights) are illegal (and unsafe everywhere).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Think of them not as "fog lights" but rather "high conspicuity" lights for conditions when you need to make your vehicle more visible/conspicuous to other drivers. Fog is one condition; but also heavy rainstorms during the day it can be nearly impossible to see normal/non-braking tail lamps until you're right up on a vehicle. Heavy snow showers day or night. Dense smoke. Pyroclastic flows from a volcano...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Only mandatory to have them fitted. Illegal to use unless very resticted visibility, usually less than 100 metres.
It's quite annoying to drive behind a guy with these lights on in good visibility, particularly in the night. People either forget to switch them off, or press the "on" button accidentally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts