SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install new rear fender flare on my XC90 but it looks like they are riveted. What's the best way to remove the rivets? Drill them out?<br>Thanks <br>Tom<p><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Luniew at 8:53 PM 5-18-2009</i>

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
somewhere else, i read that someone had to replace the horn. it required drilling of the rivets and the new horn came with replacement rivits to go back in place. my guess is that these need to be drilled.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
They need to be drilled out using a 6mm or 1/4" drill bit. Volvo part number for the rivets is 979878, believe it's 6 each for front, 4 each for rear. The arch is also attached with clips (you should be able to re-use but if not, it's PN 8659732, qty. 5 front, 6 rear). There may be an adhesive strip as well (can't see in VADIS). If so, best to do the replacement when it's reasonably warm so the adhesive can stick to the body and use isopropyl alcohol to clean the body surface before reinstalling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Masscomguru & ggleavitt, got it. That's what I figured, but wasn't positive. Drilled them out, however replacement rivets weren't included with the flares (plus they had to be painted as they are for an R-Design), got em painted and just replaced the rivets with Christmas tree clips. worked great. Thanks for the advice!! :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Rivets can be drilled out or you can grind them. You can grind the heads (use a small grinder) until they are somewhat flat and punch the center stem through. Then just pop off the head with a small punch. When you drill them use a center punch to keep the drill from walking and use drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the rivet body, that way you don't open up the hole and drill straight so you don't snowman the hole.

I've de-skinned many tailbooms on helicopters and it can take a little practice for 1st timers but it's not too hard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do I remove the black plastic on the doors and running board area? Are they also rivets? I want to pull off the plastic and repaint it fresh black.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
FYI, when i was talking to my cousin who is a retired GM engineer about the rivets that hold the rear bumper on, he reminded me that rivets on an assembly line take a lot less time than say a stainless nut and bole with a washer, or a little locktite.

grind the rivets, use the christmas trees, or nut and bolt, drive merrily for years and years, but be prepared to lose some points from the concours judge! :)

for the last 50k miles, our has had a stainless nut and bolt where the rivets holding the rear bumper once were. So far so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts