SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<p>My 2001 XC has a square metal anchor underneath each front seat. It appears to be attached to the outboard front seat rail. Is this used to attach the tether strap when using a rear facing child seat? <p>I know there are tether attachments behind the rear seat, but the tether anchor (if that's what it is) I am referring to would be much more convenient. Unfortunately, the Volvo owner's manual is silent on the issue.<p>Thanks for any help anyone can offer.<p>Frank<br>P.S. Does the search feature work? I could not obtain any results to my searches on this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Rear Facing Child Seat - Tether Strap Question (FrankG)

As far as I know, the tether is only used for front-facing child seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts

However, see link to NHTSA site, which states "NOTE: Tethers are not used on most rear-facing child safety seats." <p><br><A HREF="http://www.nhtsa.org/people/injury/childps/LATCH/DOTLatch123" TARGET="_blank">http://www.nhtsa.org/people/injury/childps/LATCH/DOTLatch123</a>/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Rear Facing Child Seat - Tether Strap Question (dcawd)

dcawd,<p>Thanks for the reply and the link. Some good info there.<p>The Britax manual for my child seat does recommend using the tether strap for rear-facing seats. Apparently, there are two methods - the Australian method and the Swedish method (no kidding), the latter requiring an anchor under the front passenger seat. Can anyone confirm that a 2001 XC has a tether anchor under the front passenger seats? <p>I do not have the LATCH system, as mine is a 2001. I use the seatbelt to hold the seat in place, but I want to secure and stabilize it with the tether.<p>Thanks.<BR><BR>
[Modified by FrankG, 12:35 PM 1-13-2003]

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

I used to strap the tether of our infant on the bar found underneath the front passenger seat, just for extra measure. Of course, all this is not even worth it if your base is not LOCKED tight. 90% of all people, just fasten the seat belt, they do not bother to engage the lock mechanism of the seatbelts to make sure that the car seat does not move.<p>Yannis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts