SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2021 XC60 Recharge T8 R-Design
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got rear ended yesterday in stop and go highway traffic. Looks like minimal damage..

Guy who hit me ended up living in the same town as me and his uncle owns a reputable body shop..they are ordering the bumper parts(apparently the bumper is 4 different pieces), spraying it and having me come to check color match before replacing it.

Any specific items/parts/sensors I should be mindful of upon replacement?

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Registered
Hard to tell from pictures, but it doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it's only cosmetic. Once the bumper cover comes off check the beam behind it. It's steel and bolts on/off. If it's not damaged then I'd think you're fine with just cosmetic repairs. If the beam is dented then I'd want that replaced and would start looking deeper.

I am not a body repair expert, however.

I also wouldn't go to the guys uncle. I'd pick a completely unaffiliated shop.

Registered
I was thinking the same thing, best to go to an unaffiliated shop. In fact I would get a recommendation from your Volvo dealership. I remember when I was rear ended in my 1996 850, it didn鈥檛 look like that much damage, but once they removed the old bumper more things were discovered.

And that is an old old car with no sensors of any sort back there. I鈥檓 thinking with the newer models there鈥檚 a lot more that could be affected.

Nora in FL
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Color match on a crystal white pearl metallic will be a little tricky so watch out for that. Otherwise looks really minor.

Seems like a lot of hassle, you should check tascaparts and see if they have new bumper pre painted from the factory. All they would need to do is order it and put it on.

Registered
I definitely vote to avoid this affiliated place for repair. I highly suggest going for someone that is totally unaffiliated. Saves the hassle for when disputes eventually arise from body work being done.

Reactions: OlRedHair

Registered
Order the bumper direct from Volvo prepainted. Not sure about the XC60, but for the 90 it鈥檚 about $950
That鈥檚 what we did when my 850 was rear ended. They ordered the bumper directly from Volvo. It came from Sweden prepainted. Even though the car was 18 years old, it was still an excellent match. And as I mentioned before, when they removed the damaged bumper they found additional problems that weren鈥檛 apparent at the beginning.

Nora in FL
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
1. Paint job - take it under sunlight and ensure no imperfections

2. Ensure parking sensors work as expected.

3. Check with dealer, if there is anything else down there that you should check

4. When your car is in the shop, request that windows are always up. Dust from polishing gets in and is difficult to remove.

5. If you have blonde interior, please request folks to be careful. Don't want anything like grease when you get it back

Registered
XC90 T8
his uncle owns a reputable body shop鈥
Echoing others here you鈥檇 generally want to go to a body shop doing the work for you, not for the guy who hit you. Maybe this is the exception but I would do this through the other guy鈥檚 insurance & bring it to the dealer or a trusted shop they recommend.

Registered
2018 XC90 R5 Momentum
I also would not use his uncles body shop because he鈥檚 looking out for his nephew and not you. I would want genuine Volvo parts ant cheap knock off parts that insurance companies try to stick you with.

Registered
Echoing others here you鈥檇 generally want to go to a body shop doing the work for you, not for the guy who hit you. Maybe this is the exception but I would do this through the other guy鈥檚 insurance & bring it to the dealer or a trusted shop they recommend.
I'm guessing the other guy is recommending his uncle's shop so that they don't have to get insurance involved...a proposition that often works out well for the other guy, and rarely for the injured party.

Registered
Got rear ended yesterday in stop and go highway traffic. Looks like minimal damage..

Guy who hit me ended up living in the same town as me and his uncle owns a reputable body shop..they are ordering the bumper parts(apparently the bumper is 4 different pieces), spraying it and having me come to check color match before replacing it.

Any specific items/parts/sensors I should be mindful of upon replacement?
First off, I am glad you are OK.

Now the Stern Voice of Reason:

1. Don't let some random guy's uncle body shop fix your car. It's a Newer Volvo. He hit your car. Get it repaired at a Volvo Authorized Body Shop that doesn't report to CarFax (Simply Ask if they Report). File a claim through his insurance or have him pay the bill directly. Absolutely DO NOT, have his "Uncle" fix your car. Period.

2. Rear Backup Sensors could be damaged. They are housed in the bumper Cover. You'll likely need a NEW PREPAINTED Bumper cover as yours is cracked.

Off Topic Wisdom

Look Into Buying a Viofo A129 Duo or a Street Guardian 9663 DC Pro Plus

Viofo A129 Duo

Both offer Front + Rear 1080P cameras that record to a MicroSd Card. If hardwired, both cameras offer continuous live recording while your car is also parked. Using either the hardwire kit tapped into your fuse box or a battery pack that you can purchase elsewhere.

I wouldn't ever drive without a camera. I got rear ended. Caught on Camera. Simplified everything.

Reactions: OlRedHair
1 - 14 of 14 Posts