SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1968 P1800 with the weaker tapered axle and drums. It is leaking where the axle tube is pressed or welded into the pinion gear housing (the pumpkin). Is this a known issue on this style rear end? <p>Main question:<br>Is this a major warning sign that says the rear needs to come out and be welded up?<p>Will draining it, cleaning it very well, and gasket sealer work? <p>I really don't want to spend any money on this rear end but don't want to be unsafe.<p>It's not in the budget but does anyone have a '70 and up stronger rear end with the disk breaks? I'll post that in the wanted section.<p>Thoughts?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: Rear end leaking between the tube and the pumpkin (Phattires68)

If it would work, an easy in-the-car fix might be to drain the fluid and have a muffler shop put a weld bead around the joint? Near the gas tank, I know.<p>Would the two steels be compatible for a weld?<p>Is that a really dumb suggestion?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: Rear end leaking between the tube and the pumpkin (gdill2)

Which is a little tube on top of the left tube. Just poke it clean with a straightened paper clip or equivalent. Then put a length of rubber hose on the tube and tuck the open end away somewhere away from road grime.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Rear end leaking between the tube and the pumpkin (Phil Singher)

It is cleared. just to make sure I removed the the bolt that holds the brass "Tee" fitting for the hard brake lines that run to either side. Still no fix. Did some reading and the jeeps have a similar leak issues. Not a safety issue. My biggest concern was to lose half the rear end torque tube tire and all. I've been told that ain't gonna happen. I'm going to drain it and try JB weld. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rear end leaking between the tube and the pumpkin (Phattires68)

I opted for gasket sealer instead. Looks like it is holding with no leaks. Hopefully good for a few years. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts