SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the rear driver's door lock and window stopped working about a month ago. At first I thought it was just the window until last week my wife happened to open that door thinking I had unlocked the car with the fob and the alarm went off, then I knew it was both things haha. That gave me a little more urgency to look at the issue from a safety/theft standpoint and of course I looked here for possible solutions. I read about a module in the front door and also about the fuses. Last night I pulled the #81 20 amp fuse, tested it (it was good), replaced with a new one anyway, and that didn't fix the problem.

Today, my wife called from work, trying to go get something on her lunch break .... "key error-try again". Multiple times, same error. Car would lock/unlock fine with the fob, still key error. She said once she even saw an immobilizer error. I had her open the rear door (which of course was already unlocked due to the issue above), had her manually lock it and shut it, and boom, no key error, car started right up. Coincidence or not?

So, I don't know if these two issues are related. When I think back I got a key error last week when I jumped in her car to run an errand, but I took the key out only once and back in and it was fine. I'm not sure of my next step on the door lock/window issue, but can live with it for a while until I have time to figure it out. The key error is another thing however and her being stranded is not good. My battery is about 6 months old (Autocraft Gold), but I think I will run it down to Advance tonight and have them test it. Then of course I've read multiple thread about the ignition switch. Finally, my alternator does whine, has since I bought the car in December, but maybe it needs replaced? I know there's a lot going on here, but if anyone has an opinion please fire away, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because of the multiple issues I'd also check if the was battery was holding its charge and that the alternator was manufacturing enough current.

If your rear door lock AND window are not working then the first thing I'd suspect is the wiring connector between the door and the pillar. Because it sounds like the entire door isn't getting any power. I've seen a thread somewhere that talks you through pulling the connector apart and getting dialectic grease in to the contacts.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I've seen that thread too and I just spent a few hours tearing things apart, but to no avail. I did have my battery checked yesterday and it was 12.5V not running. I asked the guy to check it while running and he gave me some lame, know-it-all reason why that wouldn't matter ... he was an idiot. Anyway, I'm trying to source the proper alternator right now, even though it seems unlikely these two things are related. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does fix the window/lock issue though.

I pulled off the left-rear door panel with window switch, and also the front drivers window switch. Tried process of switch elimination, nothing. Also tried swapping fuse #63 with #81, nothing. Pulled the door harness plugs out of the pillars ... they looked clean, but I threw on some dielectric grease anyway, nothing. I left the rear door panel off for now in case I feel like pulling the inner metal panel off later to look at the rest of the wiring. Oh well, here's a few pics. My front driver's door harness plug was different that what I saw in that other thread, maybe because I have a 2005.

Rear harness plug:

All greased up:

Front harness plug:

Second front harness plug (not sure what it's for):

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Decided to take a peek for dtc's on vida and my board was lit up like a frankenstein christmas tree :eek: , so before I go digging into the door panel any more I think I'll wait for my new Bosch alternator to arrive on Tuesday. Guess I know what I'm doing next weekend. Gave the wife my S80 to drive until then, better if i get stranded instead of her.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so the new Bosch alternator is installed, but the rear left door issue didn't resolve, not that I believed it really would. All the random dtc's in my vida screenshot above have been erased and haven't returned, except for the three in red, the ddm-dd10 and the two cem's relating to the lock. Door harnesses checked and greased in the front/rear pillars, window switch connectors checked, fuses checked, and the rear door module connector checked. When I say checked I don't mean I busted out a breakout box, checked pin voltages, etc, etc ... I just visually checked them, looking for loose wires, bent pins, stuff like that. Same symptoms persist ... door won't lock/unlock, window won't come down, no noises whatsoever from either.

Fault tracing the two cem dtc's in vida basically says don't even try if there's a ddm dtc, which of course there is. Possible sources for the ddm-dd10 are:

• damaged rear door control module
  • open circuit in the signal cable
  • damaged fuse

I feel confident it's not the fuse since I swapped them between the back two doors. The open circuit could be the issue, but I think I will locate a used door module first to try. I have a question though ... when I pull the three torx screws out of my existing door module will the window fall down? I'm guessing the gear on the back of the motor is keeping the regulator from moving, yes?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed !!

I found a used inner door plate on eBay (the part with the window regulator). The donor car was within my chassis number range and it cost all of $45 after shipping. I basically just bought it for the door module, which fixed both my problems after swapping it over to my door.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good work fella.

I was just about to send you this link, which shows how to disassemble the door, but you don't need it now.

I'll post it anyway as it may be helpful to someone else.

Now go and have a whiskey and savour the satisfaction of figuring out the problem yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this issue with passenger's side rear door on my wife's 2009 V50, and I checked all the wiring which was good. Ended up replacing the battery after some starting issues, which fixed the issue with the door lock and window not working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.