SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been going crazy with this issue. My rear driver side brake squeaks only at low speeds 10-20mph at high speeds or faster the 20mph or when braking the squeak stops. I had changed the pads that were on it they were like new but I wanted to get this squeaking noise to go away. I used OEM Volvo pads from ipd and used the quite brake parts grease on all contact parts and still did not help the same driver side rear brake still squeaks.

I'm at a dead end now my next move would be to replace the rotor but the one that's on look good.

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't checked that. But the weird thing is when I had put the new pads on there were no squeaks until after a couple of miles then it came back.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't you have to mess with the parking brake to get the rear rotors off? Maybe that's when something happened. I mentioned in another thread that I rarely use my parking brake, but that the pads separated and were making a horrible noise in the drum.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Chris, I have the same issue and suspected the parking brake shoes (or the springs). Being that you put on new pads helps narrow the issue down quite a ways. I'm planning on replacing my parking brake shoes, and rotor/pads on the rear wheels. My understanding is that the parking brake shoes contact the inside surface of the rotors which act as the 'drum' surface. Any one care to confirm / deny ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I'm planning on doing the same replace the the rotor and parking brake shoes. Hopefully this resolvers this squeaking. But I'm still stuck on thinking the issue is not the shoes from the parking brake as when I replace the pads the squeaking was gone then after some time it came right back. I've read in other forums that Volvo dealerships are aware of this and have been using some kind of softer rear pads and a shims kit, but I can't find anything.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's interesting. I had my brakes done by the dealer several times and the squeal didn't start until after the last rear brake change. I found the following on Matthews volvo site but it does not refer to the xc90 nor does it identify the squeal that happens when letting off the brake pedal :

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/brake-shims-fix-850-s70-v70-xc70-squealing-noise.html

I found this on the volvo UK forum : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105787

It seems to apply more to what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Take a bit of silicone sealant like the stuff called RTV or Permatex, and put a light coating of it on the backside of the pad, let it dry, reinstall the pads. NO SQUEAKING. If you have the anti-squeek plates use those too, but still use the sealant as noted.

regards,

P

·
Registered
405 Posts
Santa Monica Volvo, CA dealer just quoted me... now sit down:

$650 do replace front rotors and pads
$650 to replace rear rotors and pads.

They say the cause for the squeal is the rear rotors are too thin / under spec . So $1,300 to replace breaks. I'll be ordering my rotors and pads from FCP in about 2 minutes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts