SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows,

I'm driving the 2012 XC-60 (T6, R-Design) with OEM sound system. Since the speakers in the rear door are a little weak, I'd like to upgrade with something having a little more umpf. Now, I was wondering if I have to remove the entire door panel to access the speakers or does the speaker cover come off somehow?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi fellows,

I'm driving the 2012 XC-60 (T6, R-Design) with OEM sound system. Since the speakers in the rear door are a little weak, I'd like to upgrade with something having a little more umpf. Now, I was wondering if I have to remove the entire door panel to access the speakers or does the speaker cover come off somehow?

Thanks for your advice!
Yes you have to remove the door panel, very easy they are 6.5's BTW also a tweeter there as well

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I were to simply replace my OEM standard sound rear speakers with better ones, would it make a diffrence?
Or do I need more power to them? Right now they do NOTHING. Almost a joke!

·
Registered
597 Posts
If I were to simply replace my OEM standard sound rear speakers with better ones, would it make a diffrence?
Or do I need more power to them? Right now they do NOTHING. Almost a joke!
The std "High Performance" system suffers as much for a lack of power as it is only 10w into 2 ohms. I would not advise wasting time and money on replacing the stock drivers without replacing the amp. In fact I would first drive an aftermarket amp (that is rated into 2 ohms) from the stock one before even considering a driver swap. You just need to calibrate the balance so that you do not overdrive the stock drivers. The amp will improve the fronts as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The std "High Performance" system suffers as much for a lack of power as it is only 10w into 2 ohms. I would not advise wasting time and money on replacing the stock drivers without replacing the amp. In fact I would first drive an aftermarket amp (that is rated into 2 ohms) from the stock one before even considering a driver swap. You just need to calibrate the balance so that you do not overdrive the stock drivers. The amp will improve the fronts as well.
And how would this be done? I'm not much of an electrician.....

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Without sounding condescending - did you try to adjust the feed using the audio controls and the equalizer in the audio menu...

We might have a different perspective...but the standard system is not a joke volume wise...it could be deafening loud (I agree with mark-sf - at the expense of quality - but still loud).

·
Registered
597 Posts
This can be done by adding an aftermarket multi-channel amp to the speaker outputs of the stock amp. Optionally, one can insert a DSP unit in-between to re-eq the system. If you are not comfortable with soldering and re-wiring, I would suggest working with a professional. In my thread DIY Subwoofer Proect - A Premium Journey to the Low End I describe an aftermarket Parrot harness that allows one to connect to the OEM amp without cutting the existing wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts