SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying a couple of rear doors to improve the general respectability of my 2004 V70 2.4, I realize that I have made more work for myself. The wiring on the donor was cut near the A-Pillar, but I now know that there was a connector nearby. I thought I would use the current harness, but one of the connectors inside the door is too large to be fed out the hole. My plan is to snip that one connector, and splice it back in maintaining the integrity of the original as much as possible. Any issues with cutting and splicing as long as I use correct technique and materials, or am I doomed to a lifetime of control module replacements?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Are you sure it's too large? They definitely do not assemble the harness in the door like back in the old days. They get a complete harness and it goes in one way or the other. Have you tried turning it sideways with the wires pulled over at 90 degrees? Or have you tried pulling the pillar connector into the door?

Otherwise yes you can cut and splice, I recommend good crimp connectors over solder, I've had solder joints fail due to vibration. The best are the crimp connectors that you can heat shrink to seal afterwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts