SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dealer just told me that my rear differential is "going." There is a noticeable roar and I was hoping that it was a wheel bearing but, it seems my fears were right.

It is an 08 with just over 60K. That seems quite early to have problems.

What should this cost to fix? He is quoting over $6K

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
So bad news if indeed it's the "final drive". Exchange from Volvo (with discount from OEM reseller) is around $3300 plus whatever they want for core ($200?). PN is 36002516 for chassis (last 6 of VIN) up to 626984.

Good news is the part number is is the same for all 3.2 and 4.4 AWD vehicles (up to chassis 626984, somewhere in the 2012 range by my estimation) so if you can find a parts reseller that has one from a lower mile wreck, I'm seeing them in the ,$1000 range. But has to be from a 3.2 or a 4.4 engine AWD vehicle, the 2.5T and T6 will not work. Could contact Erie Vo Vo http://www.erievolvo.com/, they seem to have a good reputation and can maybe hunt one down if that were the direction you wanted to go.

As far as additional parts or labor to replace the unit itself, someone else can chime in. Looks like a bit of work to get it out. But it's do-able within reason. Were I to go the used route, I mioght make a compromise investment in new seals, etc. but that's just me.

At least you have some options...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am going to shop around. There is a independent Volvo guy in the area that seems to have a good reputation.

Kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The cost of our recent repairs on a car with this low mileage is beginning to sour me on Volvo.

Most are things that should not break at this mileage.

Kevin

·
Registered
396 Posts
At 60K, I doubt the Rear Diff is going. The Rear Diff lasts some 200K.

Couple thoughts:

1. What are the symptoms?

2. Is the oil level in the Rear Diff correct (I posted the info in diff forums)?

3. Rear Diff, if proved to be bad, can be solved by:
a. Using a good used unit from junk yard or ebay.
b. Disconnecting the driveshaft and/or rear axles x2; converting the car to FWD vehicle.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As mentioned above, get a 2nd opinion, it maybe the bearing, which is easy fix.
It could be bad tires too.
It could be under-inflated tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you. I am looking for a good Volvo mechanic in the Seattle area. I would assume that they checked the oil level as it was in for 60K service. I will check the air in the tires when I get it back although the Tire Pressure Monitoring system has not alarmed but I know it is not exact, to say the least.

There is a roar from the rear. It is worse at certain speeds. We have been moving and I have not had the time to really investigate as I normally would. Years ago, my family had a Olds Omega that roared at about this level its entire life.

We had to take it in for the Ignition switch as we almost got stranded over that one and it was due for 60K service.

The front brakes needed replacing as well.

Kevin

·
Registered
396 Posts
The diagnosis is straightforward, any good mechanic can do this:

- Raise EACH rear wheel at a time (floor jack): spin the wheel by hand and listen for noise. If bad bearing, it will be obvious.
The bearing average lifespan is about 150K miles, much less if the car was submerged in flood water.

- The ignition switch is a $50 item, very easy.

- Brake Job is also easy.

Perhaps you may want to learn how to wrench a bit, it will relieve the fear of owning a car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again.

Used to do most of my own work. Never had to do a diff though because never had a problem. Got older and usually pay someone else now.

I think that the dealer likes to get money. Another poster gave me a line on a good independent guy in the area. I think I will take it there and have them look at it. If it is the diff, I am going to scream to Volvo. I know it is out of warranty but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak. It should not fail at 60K. We just moved from Alaska and that can be hard service so I would understand a bearing but not the whole diff. Driven through some water before but never in a flood.

Kevin

·
Registered
99 Posts
you can get the diff bearings from landrover lr2 which uses a volvo engine trans and rear diff. the landrover diffs make noise and they just replace the bearing. volvo does not offer the bearing only landrover

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Normally it's the pinion shaft bearing that fails and they can be rebuilt, but it's not a simple task by any means. I've seen quite a bit of failure out of these things. Thankfully for you, they are more readily available than for the awd sedans.

Though I haven't dug into that, it's possible they are shared. Regardless, they are very expensive little things.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks ProlixArgon.

I am in phone tag with Volvo NA now. Still don't think this thing should fail at 60K unless there are problems from the start.

K

·
Registered
19 Posts
A dealer just told me that my rear differential is "going." There is a noticeable roar and I was hoping that it was a wheel bearing but, it seems my fears were right.

It is an 08 with just over 60K. That seems quite early to have problems.

What should this cost to fix? He is quoting over $6K

Thanks

Kevin
I have an 07 3.2 currently with 112k miles...it has the same "roar" coming from the rear differential. Dealer said that it was "going" as well, but they could not determine how much time it had left. They flushed the differential and replaced with new fluid...pump was replaced as well as it failed. All this improved the "roar", but its still present.

Fast forward 14k miles and 1.5 years...no additional issues. Went through a brutal New England winter where the AWD had to kick in constantly.

I have no plans to replace the differential until it actually goes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for you experiences.

It gives some idea that it will not leave us stranded in the short run. Now that we are down in the 48, reliability is less critical with cell service in most place and tow trucks readily available via AAA.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
There is a spotted history with these rear differentials that I've been observing to see how common the failure becomes. I believe I was one of the first people to post about a failure outside of the xc90's on a 2010 S80 T6. I dug around, found out about the common failure in the Land Rover LR2, and begun sourcing parts to see if anything could be done to save mine, since there was almost no availability for a used part (the one I found they wanted $1700+ freight) and you already know what I new one costs.

The xc90 and the other P3 awd Volvos have the same differential internally, but the external casting is different. I assume with the LR2 it's the same but different story.

I did eventually sort mine out, but Land Rover does not source all the parts needed, and it's custom order parts to actually finish the job. The tools needed to pull it apart are custom order and not available, and special tools are needed to be able to put it back together correctly that may need to be custom fabricated.

How common is the failure? I believe nearly all the P3 cars with a 6 cylinder have this diff, probably all the 3.2 XC90's have it until the end of production of the first generation. With that many of them on the road, failure rates seem quite low. Since I discovered the fault, I've probably replaced a dozen in the past year.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the failure. The xc90 weighs more than the LR2, and you would think would be more prone to failure because of it, yet it rarely does. So far there is no inexpensive solution. A new one, a used one from someone like Erie, or ignoring it seems about the only options.

They are not terrible to change, you could probably do it in a weekend or less time depending on your skill level. I would rank it a 6 or 7 on a 1-10 difficulty scale.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There is a spotted history with these rear differentials that I've been observing to see how common the failure becomes. I believe I was one of the first people to post about a failure outside of the xc90's on a 2010 S80 T6. I dug around, found out about the common failure in the Land Rover LR2, and begun sourcing parts to see if anything could be done to save mine, since there was almost no availability for a used part (the one I found they wanted $1700+ freight) and you already know what I new one costs.

The xc90 and the other P3 awd Volvos have the same differential internally, but the external casting is different. I assume with the LR2 it's the same but different story.

I did eventually sort mine out, but Land Rover does not source all the parts needed, and it's custom order parts to actually finish the job. The tools needed to pull it apart are custom order and not available, and special tools are needed to be able to put it back together correctly that may need to be custom fabricated.

How common is the failure? I believe nearly all the P3 cars with a 6 cylinder have this diff, probably all the 3.2 XC90's have it until the end of production of the first generation. With that many of them on the road, failure rates seem quite low. Since I discovered the fault, I've probably replaced a dozen in the past year.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the failure. The xc90 weighs more than the LR2, and you would think would be more prone to failure because of it, yet it rarely does. So far there is no inexpensive solution. A new one, a used one from someone like Erie, or ignoring it seems about the only options.

They are not terrible to change, you could probably do it in a weekend or less time depending on your skill level. I would rank it a 6 or 7 on a 1-10 difficulty scale.
Thank you, but what part, or parts, specifically it that fails in the differential? What is the name and/or part number?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
My original thread was here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?219929-Rear-Differential-Whine

What goes bad is the front pinion shaft bearing. But in replacing it you need the bearings and the bearing races. If I remember correctly there are two different sets of each and Land Rover only sells one of the four parts needed, the rest have to be custom ordered. If I remember correctly the seals have to be ordered from Land Rover and Volvo as Volvo doesn't sell all the seals you need.

I'm afraid I don't have part numbers out side of the Land Rover part numbers on the diagram in my initial posting.

I took my diff out and tried to sort it out and I did not get it back in for probably 4 months. Rebuilding it would be 8-9 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. Removing everything is easy, properly installing the tensioned bearing and torquing everything to the proper specs is very difficult.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally made contact with Volvo NA today. (mostly phone issues caused the delay) They are assessing my case.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts