SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. My 06 has a humming sound that is coming from the rear of the car and has been getting worse over the past few months. I had a local shop look at it and they diagnosed it as an issue with the rear differential that was low on fluid. They filled it up and it hasn't helped. I was hoping it was a rear wheel bearing and replaced both with no change. It has gotten worse over the past few weeks and I have come to the conclusion I need to change out the differential. I have searched around locally for a diff, but with no luck.
I have two questions, is it possible to pull it and rebuild it, or if not, what models of differentials will fit a 2006 R and where is a good place to find one?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Might as well get a haldex unit as well. Go for an 06-07 rear end if you buy it all together.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but 06-07 diff parts will work on 04-05 cars as well?
Well it's haldex 2 vs haldex 3. Pump primes at startup vs when slippage is detected. Not sure if the internals are identical or if it's DEM based. I'd have to check the P/N for the diff/haldex unit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well it's haldex 2 vs haldex 3. Pump primes at startup vs when slippage is detected. Not sure if the internals are identical or if it's DEM based. I'd have to check the P/N for the diff/haldex unit.
If we could retrofit Haldex III into the earlier year vehicles, that would be great! Looking at some photos of both units, there are but some minor differences in terms of (outer) hardware design. I wonder how different they are inside and what it'll take on the software side of things.

Haldex II

Haldex III

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
If we could retrofit Haldex III into the earlier year vehicles, that would be great! Looking at some photos of both units, there are but some minor differences in terms of (outer) hardware design. I wonder how different they are inside and what it'll take on the software side of things.

Haldex II

Haldex III

2 and 3 are pretty close in function. Only real difference is 1/4 a wheel revolution of slippage until power is sent back vs 1/15 a revolution. Haldex 4&5 are far better because they eschew the mechanical pump completely for only the electric pump.

·
Registered
423 Posts
2 and 3 are pretty close in function. Only real difference is 1/4 a wheel revolution of slippage until power is sent back vs 1/15 a revolution. Haldex 4&5 are far better because they eschew the mechanical pump completely for only the electric pump.
I concur. The newer generation Haldex would definitely be much better performance wise, but I'm sure it will be more difficult to have it work in place of Haldex II or III, seeing as they (II and III) are more similar in terms of design.

Just wondering if we could retro-fit Haldex III onto Haldex II cars without too much work for slightly better traction, for when we need them. ;)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link qwkbrk. I will call the suppliers to see if I can locate a diff.
Is there anywhere to find out if diffs from the other brands/models mentioned will be an exact replacement?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The bearings in Volvo diffs are common bearings. The carrier bearings and one of the pinion bearings are the same as many domestic 3/4 ton pickups. I've replaced the bearings on a few and these bearings were on the shelf at the local NAPA in Timken brand. The other pinion bearing was a slow mover and not in stock but was at the local wearhouse. I'm not sure what other uses that bearing has. Volvo does not have special tools for those diffs to counter hold pinion for torquing nut. Range Rover has the tools.
I cut a socket in chop saw and welded in a thick wall piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe to use for the pinion nut. I use my impact and use one tighten cycle and then a rolling torque measurement until I get it to 6 inch pounds. The newer (starting in 2007 on xc90 and P3) diffs are easier with the side cover case. The diagonal split case is a little more work and you really need to have the Volvo spanner nut tool or make one.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The best way to know if the Haldex units compatible is to email them. I did with a question of changing the front to back power % and they were very helpful. I looked the contacts up on their site. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts