SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to change rear differential oil of the XC70. Do i Have to use the Volvo oil or can I use Red Line, Valvoline or Mobil 1 Synthetic? I read the weight is 75W-90?

Volvo does not say if theirs is synthetic.

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about the other brands?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Other brands are fine. Use GL-5, this is important. I put Red Line last time IIRC.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone done this? I checked the fill location yesterday and its a bit tough to get to. With some difficulty, I could reach the 13mm plug with 3/8 drive socket attached to a swivel. I did get a 12v extraction pump so I can snake a hose to it. But I haven't done it yet. Just thought I'd get some pointers from others first.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got this done the other day. Wasn't to difficult. Used a 12v extraction pump. Can even do it without jacking the car. As far as oil level, I have read here various comments about it being 0.7 or 0.9 liters. The dealer said up to the bottom of the fill hole. My only issue with the .7 or .9 or whatever other than the to the bottom of fill is how do you know you extracted all the oil and if you fill it back that whats inside the differential is those volumes?

And what will happen if you fill it to the bottom of the fill hole? Don't differential have vents that would "vent" out excess oil?

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the XC70 differential have a relief valve?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts