SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever changed these seals out? I just found mine to be leaking where the cv shafts go in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
3,391 Posts
I don't know anybody who has changed these. I've noticed them leaking on several Volvos (and other cars for that matter). The last time I checked, mine weren't leaking, but if they were, I'd just make sure to keep the final drive fluid topped up. Usually its just a bit of seepage anyway. If it's leaking so bad that it's wet and dripping, that's probably the first time I've ever seen that. Usually it's just enough seepage so you have some damp dirt stuck around the final drive unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay! I'm the first one! I'd say it's wet and wants to drip right now. Do you know what oil I need? Maybe a bottle of Lucas will "repair" the seals a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do you know how to take the rear axles out? You need to undo the rear trailing arm/control arm to get the hub to swing outwards. Let me know if you want the tutorial on here as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any tips would be much appreciated. I want to feel like I've done it before, before I do it. I'm a decent mechanic. Just not familiar with Volvo yet. I have an Audi background but these have so far been pretty easy and straight forward to work on.

·
3,391 Posts
Any tips would be much appreciated. I want to feel like I've done it before, before I do it. I'm a decent mechanic. Just not familiar with Volvo yet. I have an Audi background but these have so far been pretty easy and straight forward to work on.

Ahh if you have an Audi background, you know these leak on every Audi on the road! I think the rear diff in my S8 is the only one I've ever seen that wasn't leaking.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ahh if you have an Audi background, you know these leak on every Audi on the road! I think the rear diff in my S8 is the only one I've ever seen that wasn't leaking.
And then you drove it off the lot? :D Sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are any special tools necessary? Or do the cv shafts just slide out of the rear diff?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They show a couple pry bars to pull the axle out. You need to pull hard enough to get the circlip to release. I usually use a pickle fork and it works well

·
Registered
572 Posts
I find it easier to remove the wheel bearing and pull the axle out that way, rather than deal with the rear suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts