SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my rear defrost, it seems to weaken the FM station. When I turn it off, it is all better. I have noticed that if I tune into an FM station near me (within 15 miles), it does not interfere, but if I tune into a station that is about 50 miles away, it happens. With the station that is 50 miles away, it comes in clear, but when I turn on the defrost, there is static.

Maybe battery? Not sure.

Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
837 Posts
the antennas on these cars suck and have no shielding. its probably a strong rear defroster creating a B field near the antenna. That would F up the signal

·
Registered
207 Posts
i have the same, i just think a bad antenna also. Did nothing about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sucks. Oh well. I am not going to screw around with this. It just sucks that when it is snowing and I want the defrost on and want to listen to a station in Boston it comes in like ****.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Be glad it's not the early 2000's Impalas... My wife's old car would get staticky with the defrost on when we were a few blocks from the radio station. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same problem over here in my V50. My father's S80 has also the same problem. Simple solution: listen to a cd while using the rear defrotst ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same problem over here in my V50. My father's S80 has also the same problem. Simple solution: listen to a cd while using the rear defrotst ;-)
I get what your saying, but there is a radio show on in Boston that I like to listen to in the mornings on the way to work. And I am driving away from the source, not to it. So it just tends to be a pain. Oh well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
All windshield antennas are a design comprimize. Install a proper 30 inch vertical external antenna. I have been doing this on most of my cars since they started using windshield antennas in the 80's

However the reception in my V50 has been good enough for the local stations I normally listen to so I haven’t bothered with this car yet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All windshield antennas are a design comprimize. Install a proper 30 inch vertical external antenna. I have been doing this on most of my cars since they started using windshield antennas in the 80's

However the reception in my V50 has been good enough for the local stations I normally listen to so I haven’t bothered with this car yet

I would rather listen to the radio with static. I just dont want to take away from the outside. It would look odd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts