SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a rear dash cam setup? What brand and how are you running the power? Mounting it anywhere special to capture the best angle?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone have a rear dash cam setup? What brand and how are you running the power? Mounting it anywhere special to capture the best angle?
Hi robogar...
I have a Blackvue DR900S 2CH setup on my XC60.. This gives me a front and rear cam. The rear cam is in fact adhered to the plastic surround on the hatch (NOT THE GLASS), the wiring is run through the rear "flexible cable connector" that run cables to the hatch and then along through the roof lining (on drivers side) to the front (much care is needed to NOT interfere with the airbags etc.) this is then connected direct to the front cam with the "angled end" of the video cable. Works a treat. Blackvue also do a power connection called Power Magic EZ that allows you to pick up power direct from the OBDII port (NO fuse box connection is needed) and this unit is cheap and supports "parking mode" with battery protection.

I will put a pic (or link to a pic) up of how I set the camera on the hatch (I didn't want to put it onto the glass as I have window tinting).

The hardest part is feeding the rear camera video cable through the existing "waterproof flexible fitting", you have to un-seat the one you want at both ends and then feed the cable though... I attached an extra long cable tie with some tape to the straight end of the video cable (this helped protect it as well) when the cable tie pokes out you can just GENTLY pull it through. I checked which end of the video cable went to the rear camera and which went to the front cam (one is angled [front end] and the other is straight [rear camera end]). I removed the long thin plastic trim in the hatch as well this allowed me to run the cable and secure it (no rattles) and then I just "popped it out" near the rear camera, put the trim back on and all worked ok.

Evan though I have the Blackvue DR900S 2CH I think the next model down (I think it's a DR700S 2CH) has some excellent reviews as well, cheaper and worth a look if you haven't got anything yet.

As mentioned, I will put some pics (or a link) up for you to see what I did.

My car is right hand drive and I ran the video cable through the rear left hand "flexible section" (looking at it from the rear) as I thought this had more space to run the video cable than the one on the right. You can just "unclip" each end to get access and when finished just push it back on to make a waterproof seal again, it's a bit of a fiddle but it does come away at each end. I just used a small flat edge screwdriver to release each end by pushing in the "springy clips" just be gentle and it will work.

Hope it helps and makes some sort of sense.. pics to follow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gee, if only you could save the images from the cameras that are already in place.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi robogar...
I have a Blackvue DR900S 2CH setup on my XC60.. This gives me a front and rear cam. The rear cam is in fact adhered to the plastic surround on the hatch (NOT THE GLASS), the wiring is run through the rear "flexible cable connector" that run cables to the hatch and then along through the roof lining (on drivers side) to the front (much care is needed to NOT interfere with the airbags etc.) this is then connected direct to the front cam with the "angled end" of the video cable. Works a treat. Blackvue also do a power connection called Power Magic EZ that allows you to pick up power direct from the OBDII port (NO fuse box connection is needed) and this unit is cheap and supports "parking mode" with battery protection.

I will put a pic (or link to a pic) up of how I set the camera on the hatch (I didn't want to put it onto the glass as I have window tinting).

The hardest part is feeding the rear camera video cable through the existing "waterproof flexible fitting", you have to un-seat the one you want at both ends and then feed the cable though... I attached an extra long cable tie with some tape to the straight end of the video cable (this helped protect it as well) when the cable tie pokes out you can just GENTLY pull it through. I checked which end of the video cable went to the rear camera and which went to the front cam (one is angled [front end] and the other is straight [rear camera end]). I removed the long thin plastic trim in the hatch as well this allowed me to run the cable and secure it (no rattles) and then I just "popped it out" near the rear camera, put the trim back on and all worked ok.

Evan though I have the Blackvue DR900S 2CH I think the next model down (I think it's a DR700S 2CH) has some excellent reviews as well, cheaper and worth a look if you haven't got anything yet.

My car is right hand drive and I ran the video cable through the rear left hand "flexible section" (looking at it from the rear) as I thought this had more space to run the video cable than the one on the right. You can just "unclip" each end to get access and when finished just push it back on to make a waterproof seal again, it's a bit of a fiddle but it does come away at each end. I just used a small flat edge screwdriver to release each end by pushing in the "springy clips" just be gentle and it will work.

Hi all....
Here is a link to the images of my cams installed, please let me know if it doesn't work:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LrQZyLGLDhi3PEkTKjTIK3tJsrHfnDiZ?usp=sharing

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi robogar...

Hi all....
Here is a link to the images of my dual camera setup and shows rear panels etc. Hope it helps. Please let me know if the link doesn't work.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LrQZyLGLDhi3PEkTKjTIK3tJsrHfnDiZ?usp=sharing

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow these solutions are both really slick. Now if only I can find the time to do a customized solution like this... Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos S5156, I'm going to wrap up the installation in my wife's car this weekend and you've been a great help.

·
Registered
798 Posts
S5156, thanks for the info and pics. I’d like to know more about routing the wire in the roof lining to avoid the airbags, etc. Did you drop the entire headliner or just fish the wire above the doors? I’m not sure which trim I need to remove before I start prying the headliner.

How do you like the OBDII port connector? Any issues with battery drain? I got a hard wire kit for the fuse box, but there is also a OBDII connector available. I was a little concerned about blocking the OBDII port when needed for diagnostics.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wonder whether or not installing a dashcam would violate the warranty terms? Any ideas?
A dash cam is no different than any other modification. If it does not adversely alter or affect other functions, it does not change the warranty. On the other hand, a dealer may try to decline some warranty services when they see your dash cam attached to the fuse block.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello @s5156!

I was planning to do a similar setup as yours, and was looking at getting the following, either in 32 or 64GB:

https://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR7...9XDG8C/ref=psdc_2230642011_t2_B075DGTZYN?th=1

Any chance you could confirm if there's anything missing from that bundle, if what I want is for the camera to turn on and off automatically when the car is started and turned off? If that makes any difference, I don't care much for recording while the car is parked and not being driven, so I wouldn't consider spending (much) more for that specific functionality.

Thank you for the help!

Geoff

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello @s5156!

I was planning to do a similar setup as yours, and was looking at getting the following, either in 32 or 64GB:

https://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR7...9XDG8C/ref=psdc_2230642011_t2_B075DGTZYN?th=1

Any chance you could confirm if there's anything missing from that bundle, if what I want is for the camera to turn on and off automatically when the car is started and turned off? If that makes any difference, I don't care much for recording while the car is parked and not being driven, so I wouldn't consider spending (much) more for that specific functionality.

Thank you for the help!

Geoff
Hi Jofu
You seem to have all that you need.. I have another item not listed, instead of the PowerMagic Pro hardwire kit, I used the BlackVue EZ connection, this just goes straight into the OBDII connector and turns on and off when the car is powered up (it can also be set to "stay on" and record when parking and is easily swapped if you want to move to another vehicle. The hard wire kit works the same way but is a just a bit harder to install (but NOT impossible) there is lots of info on here to guide you with this install (especially when connecting to the fuse and the right one). I note, your proposed purchase has the PowerMagic Pro unit that allows for parking mode bundled in with the cams.

When I bought mine, I went for the smallest "storage card" and replaced it with the biggest "after market one" I could find. I just copied the BlackYue card's files to the new card and made certain I kept the original BlackVue Card as a master/backup in case I need it if my larger card fails (I'll just get another and coy the files again).

Another user here asked about how I ran the cable (from the rear cam) through the "head lining".. I just fed it under the lining at the back if the roof, across to the side then along just under the edge, next to the door seal rubber keeping it away from the airbag system all the way to the front and then across just under edge at the front headlining to plug into the front cam. Not hard to do and easy to remove, the hardest part was running the cable from the rear cam through the "rubber cable protector (rear hatch to bodywork). You can just get a small lift at the edge at each end of this and it will "pull out" with some effort. I then attached a very long cable tie the the straight "connector" on the video cable and fed it from the "top down" and just pulled through what I needed to connect to the rear cam running through the rear panel etc. This is easier than trying to fed the "angled connector" that goes to the front cam and could be damaged or caught up. Just take your time with this and select the waterproof rubber bit that has the least cables running through it, mine was the left side looking at the back of the car from outside (it felt more flexible with less cables inside) my car ir right hand drive and it could be different of yours is a LHD car.

After I did this it;s just a matter of pushing/clipping each end back into the hatch and bodywork to make waterproof seal again (I also put a bit of grease -small amount to help putting it back and keeping a god seal). I just used a trim removal tool to get under the edge of the trims and push the cable in, my front cam power cable runs down the A pillar and is tie back behind the airbag and other cable in there, the hardest part of the install was aligning and getting the A Pillar trim back, it seems like your going to "break it" but you have to use a bit of force to get it seated back in position. It does go in but just take your time and angle it so the base is in first, push and then lift it with a bit of a twist, you'll see what I mean when you take it off (again not hard but a bit of a fiddle to get back in).

Hope that helps... I have since my original install done a hardwire install to a BlackVue battery that is under the drivers seat, it wasn't that the OBDII connection wasn't working ok but when being serviced or checked it is unplugged by the dealer anyway. The other thing to note, that here in Aust our privacy laws are such that you can't have the cam running whilst it is in the dealers, I tell them it is connected and it's not a problem, if it was they can just pull the power out of the front cam and this shuts the system down to both cams.

I've had NO problem with power drain or the dealer saying this would impact any warranty claims (I asked), but then again my dealer is fabulous and has been for years with other cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you s5156, much appreciated. I ordered a different bundle without the PowerMagic Pro, and ordered the EZ connection separately. I'll let you know how the install worked out, once I receive everything!

Geoff

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello s5156,

I finally got around to installing the BlackVue 750 on my wife’s 2020 XC60. It turned out easier than I thought, except for putting the rear camera’s cable through the rubber tube (which you had warned about!). In the end, I did detach the rubber tube on both ends and used a chopstick to pass the cable through, by taping the cable to it :) Putting the rubber tube back was ok once I was able to remove the plastic clamp ends off the frame.

Thanks again for the pics and help!

Geoff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pics please! :) This is actually my weekend project. If time permits, I'll start working on this today, along with a couple other tech mods.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts