SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally got around to building my own since there is nothing for the P2 v70. It's not pretty but is simple. I'll see if it makes any difference tomorrow.

I have been trying to reduce understeer as much as possible and since removing my front strut bar I have been able to bring it closer to neutral.

I'm hoping this rear brace adds a little oversteer. There looms like room enough to fit another into the next bolt holes which I will be doing once I get more bolts.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's simple, so I like that. It would have massive torsional rigidity and near-nil deflection, I would guess.

So, I'd give it 0:thumbup: for aesthetics but 5:thumbup: for theoretical performance ;)

Let us know if it ties the rear end together. You'd likely get a greater shift in handling balance by playing with tire pressures F:R...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it does make a difference. Driving the same route to work, with the same corners it definitely took some of the understeer away. Car was power sliding through corners with just a titch of understeer.

Tonight I'll put in the second one and see if that provides any more stiffness.

I can definitely feel some more stiffness, especially in coming out of corners on power.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thx. for the write-up. Nicely done, a neat bit of engineering. :thumbup: I'll fab up something similar for my T5M.

So:

~3 ft- 1in. square steel tube cut to length

2 bolts- Got a Volvo part no.?- they look like those black-plated Volvo OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M10 x 60mm bolts
48" x 1" square steel tube
Washers

All from home Depot. The bolts in the picture are old axle bolts I had. For the second one I'm using the lag bolts referenced above.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish I'd seen that 2 days ago. Oh well. Here's a picture of the second brace installed.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
by the looks of it VIVA's design would not stress the bolts as much the your current design as the eyelets are a separate piece that would allow for some movement. I'd worry about your design snapping the bolts off over time, but great idea, I'm sure you can refine it as I couldn't see myself spending the $200usd for a brace.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'd worry about your design snapping the bolts off over time, but great idea
No way would Grade 9 bolts shear. If they did, the driver would have far greater problems to worry about...

Agreed re. VIVA pricing: $199 + S&H vs. ~$15 all-in for a functional equivalent. Beck's engineered a winner here, the "Beck Brace"(TM).

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I'm not an engineer, and I'm not sure of the forces at play here or the strength of materials, just thinking from a distance. Was thinking more along the lines of the bar's rigidity along with how long the blots are would put a lot of leveraging(?) force on the bolt right at the bottom of the brace with the subtle flexing of the rear end in.

Still, for $15 I might give it a go. "Beck Brace" :beer:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
These are valid points. It might stress the bolts but according to my father (structural engineer) the mating surface of the bar and car transmits much of the load opposed to the bolts. Also the 4 bolts are dispersing the entire load the dividing it amongst themselves.

I guess only long term will tell....

I may proactively work on a mounting design that doesn't use a box frame and therefore puts less leverage stress on the bolts.

Either way this is the least expensive and still effective brace on the car

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drove the car today with the second brace. Wow, what a difference. The rear end is incredibly stiff. Very pleased.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I really like where this is going! Does it fit beneath the floor though?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's actually the whole bar getting in the way. Something contoured to the floor pan would work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts