SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i notice a little drip coming from the FRONT ExHASUT camshaft seal is there a write up on how too replace ?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I don't believe so because I just attempted the front one on a 2.4i. There are some guides on other Volvo forums I've found though.

I can look at VIDA if I get a chance for you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dude

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You definitely need the special tool kit for camshaft work on a Volvo.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Take the timing belt cover off. You'll see the two gears. There are solenoids on top of the head. If you have two solenoids, (look for two wire harnesses) you have both VVT. If there is one solenoid and the other plug has a blank screwed onto it, it's single VVT. I believe the T5 has exhaust and intake VVT (but I'm honestly not sure and can't have VIDA to confirm - The solenoid method is fool-proof though). The VVT is the bigger hub. In that video above the left (exhaust) is VVT and the intake is just a regular gear without the oil hub inside.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Yup, T5 gears are both VVT. There are differing pulley styles which is causing your confusion.

Install camshaft tool.
Loosen pulley bolt.
Remove belt & pulley
Replace seal
Install belt & pulley
Torque bolt
Remove tool

Notes:
Very easy to strip head of shutter wheel bolt (removed to install camshaft tool). Use of hand impact is recommended. Order spare bolt.
Make sure tool is tightened securely to camshaft & belt is in place when removing/torquing pulley bolt.
Mark both belt & gear tooth on all 3 gears before removing. Transfer marks to new belt before installation.
To keep timing as original as possible without having to use the crankshaft holding tool (requiring starter removal) only do one pulley at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts