SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear camera in my XC60 has always been too bright. The display is fine, but the camera over-exposes the image. Will replacing the camera correct the image? Or is there software calibration involved? I’ve taken the current camera off and cleaned the connections, but no difference. A new camera is not cheap, but if swapping one fixes the problem then it will be worth it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Before you attempt to fix the problem with the brightness of the image you see when the back up camera is operating, have you confirmed that the image is too bright when using the car on a sunny day? It could be that the system has been set up to give the driver a visible image under the worst conditions, which would be when there is sunlight streaming through the back window, illuminating the dashboard.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It’s an XC60 with privacy glass, so sunlight is not the issue. Image is overexposed anytime of day. Are you saying there is a camera image setting on a 2014 XC60? Where is that?

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a camera located on the back of the vehicle, and a display on the dashboard. There has to be some sort of gain control, and a contrast control, however these settings may be established at the factory, and not subject to adjustment by the user. Volvos manufactured since year 2000 all seem to have multiple electronic control modules, some with microprocessors and complex enough to be called computers. I don't know if the electronic module that controls the operation of your back up monitor senses ambient light level and adjusts the brightness of the display accordingly. Perhaps someone else will read this thread and make a useful comment.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Anyone with actual experience? Best not to answer forum questions if you don’t know anything about it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update: I replaced the camera and it made no difference. The backup camera display is still too bright while the TFT display and Sensus Connected Touch displays appear normal. Only adjustment knob is the universal dimmer, but nothing to adjust the brightness of the backup camera image only. If you have actual experience taking apart the Sensus display for this year to make an adjustment, I’d appreciate any direct knowledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts