SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with a MY2012 or 13 XC70 and the following options, how do you feel about the rearview camera and Navigation System?

We currently have a 2008 V70 and my wife enjoys it so much that she's considering the XC70 version of it as a replacement for her aging Pontiac. She has never been confident about backing into spaces so the rear camera appeals to her.

I've read luke warm comments here about Volvo's Nav system, so I'm not sure if that would be a good investment. Friends have suggested simply to get aftermarket (portable) Magellans, etc. IPhone, but an uncluttered cabin is always nice. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
39,274 Posts
I just love the factory Nav system with Sensus. If full and seamless integration means anything to you, you will appreciate the OEM system. Plus (very important) the fact that you will get Voice Activation (both for Nav and Telephone functions)...these alone make the cost worth it due to guaranteed less distraction.

I drive over 3,000 miles per month and use Nav a lot. It has yet to fail me especially in the busy freeways of Southern California; it Road Traffic Information system has saved me quite a few times.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I echo all of what GrecianVolvo posted. We have the NAV and front and rear view cameras installed. The rear view is a must for safety and for parallel parking. It works wonderfully well. My wife will never ever own another auto without the rear camera. The front camera looks left and right and presents these images in a split screen. It's very useful when it's hard to see left and right when at an intersection with bushes, trees, etc obstructing the view. It's also good for detecting oncoming pedestrians and cyclists. The only -ive I've found with the front camera is when it's raining. The water on the camera lens can obscure the vision quite a bit. This does not happen with the rear view camera from what I've experienced.

The NAV system incorporates the rear camera I believe... Get both of them and be happy. Good luck with your decision -- and treat your wife.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts