SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why I don't like closed off style wheels.... i can't tell how the brakes are doing.... So I was swapping wheels this weekend and found the following. At first I thought "OK, a seized caliper" but both sides look identical !!!

Is this normal?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Rear calipers aren't "squeezing very hard" ??? (CoconutPete)

What I am seeing there is pads that are not fulling contacting the rotor. When was your last brake job? Br strange if both calipers are seized....

Landru
2001 V70 T5M 207,000 Miles

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rear calipers aren't "squeezing very hard" ??? (Landru)

I've only had the car for about 10K. No clue when the rears were last touched.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: Rear calipers aren't "squeezing very hard" ??? (CoconutPete)

that is not normal. and neither is the level of rust in my opinion. you may have a rusted piston in the caliper. in conn i would bet they still use salt. and if they do one needs to rinse the underside/brakes/etc of cars regularly.

i think you would be best to get new calipers, or at lest rebuilt ones. i would not even try to clean those up. the hardware and parts are pricy i think. you might not even get core value on trade-in either.

ask jrl for his opinion and or suggestions. edit, he prob has similar conditions.

just my opinion. i have never had pads that did not make full contact/sweep of a rotor, so i think you got to deal with it from the ground up.

good luck.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
look seized to me also

Get rebuilt ones from Napa or who ever.

Or try to rebuild yours yourself but to me its not worth the savings and the hassle

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: (CoconutPete)

i have used fcp groton. they do very well for these parts. right now they have free shipping for orders of 99 bucks or more. i just got an e mail also offering 10% off with their "junebug" coupon code.

rear calipers were 139 new, and 58 for rebuilt with a core charge of 50 bucks each. they may not like yours though, so call them before you decide.

i would buy new, with ceramic pads, often the rebuilt come with pads though. your rotors may be ok and clean up with working caliper and new pads. that is just a thought of course.

ipd is another great source.

good luck. think of changing your brake lines too. along with a complete brake fluid flush your getting in to a complete overhaul that appears needed.

good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: (CoconutPete)

Quote, originally posted by CoconutPete »
Any recomendations for where to pick up a set of shoes, pads & rotors as a start? Fcp groton?

I really like the Akebono Euro pads, have 'em both front and back.

Before you get into rebuilt calipers, take a look at the slide pins and see how bad they look, you might just need new hardware.

Landru

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
they will take any as a core since a siezed calipers is really damaged all it is the piston is rusted to the wall a hammer and a dremal fixes that quick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Chilled Man)

Well if all works out I should have access to my buddys shop this weekend. Going to flush out the brake fluid and yank everything apart and see if I can clean it up to get an idea of what the hell is going on back there.

Does anyone happen to have the torque specs for the brake calipers?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Believe it's 25Nm...translates to 18.5 ft. Lbs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

OK. Yanked everything apart & cleaned it up today. Since it's the rear there is obviously just one piston and it still moves, so not seized.

Everything looks fine so I cleaned it up & put it back together. I have NO clue when the brake fluid is from but simply from looking at the reservoir it dos NOT look good.

I'm going to buy a power bleeder & flush the whole system out and see if that adds some pressure to the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts