SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planned on replacing brake pads and rotors on my S40, but the 13mm bolts on the rear caliper brackets are seized. I have a feeling the bolts are gonna snap or get stripped when I remove them.

I'm gonna order a new set of bolts for both sides. Should I also replace the bracket? Or would I be ok with just swapping the bolts?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The bracket for the caliper is the threaded part, not the hub. Feel free to snap them off. All you need to do is then replace the bracket. They are kinda cheap.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
No problem. Here is the proof.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Should I get an OEM replacement, or are there any good quality aftermarket brackets?

Update:
I picked up a breaker bar and a set of grip sockets from auto zone and I was able to get the bolts off. I ended up using the same bracket with new bolts.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I will vouch for these being very tight. Plenty of people have rounded the heads off by using a 12 point socket or not carefully inserting it fully. Volvo recommends always replacing them. Just get a "rebuilt" bracket from Cardone or some such. The bolts will likely come loose though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts