SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Rear Bumper removal problem

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Hong Kong 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys -

I looked at the instructions in VIDA for how to remove the bumper, and when I went to begin unbolting the bumper, it looks like it was a specialty bolt. Not MM / Hex or Star bit. Can anyone point me in on that?

Here is the instructions I have - where it only says - remove 4 nuts.
https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...fascia/system_information/service_and_repair/

Looking at swapping out the rear bumper cover, and pieces underneath it due to a rear ending. Not sure if specialty tools are required.

In return, I can do a photo-log and walkthrough!

Dragon

#2 ·
Battery out, rear section completely open. The large 2x5 rectangular soundproofing pieces along the very bottom, peel them back and you should see 13mm nuts, looks like maybe there are raised standoffs welded to the rear metal section, at least the one on the right seemed like it (used a mirror). I looked behind the upper smaller rear (2x2) soundproofing, that's a threaded metal cap welded on one the back side, once you take the bumper fascia off I'll guess you'll see the bolt side.

That internet "repair" link is waaay old and has gotten worse to navigate. Has to be way for you to get a copy of VIDA running, you'll be far happier. Couple YouTubes on this, I got confused with the "nuts" as well initially but once I realized the person was going more deep to get to them, it made greater sense.

Good luck with your repair.

#3 ·
Agreed. Find a video. Popping the side panels off is a pain and way more difficult than it deserves to be. It helps a lot to actually see how they come off.

The nuts are standard nuts, just taller from what I recall. Just for corn's sake be very careful you don't drop them once they're loose. I lost a few to the abyss.

#4 ·
I removed once changed parking sensor. Its simple work. Will post you photos.
I suggest to put on tool inside in hole small pcs. of magnet to not drop screw.
When you placing back just use good tape and put around screw fixing it
on tool than just pull tool out when tight.
When you placing back rivets put washer inside chrome-nickle one on both sides.

#6 ·
You guys are awesome. I have to leave to go out of town for a bit, and then will have to tackle this when I return. I think what I was seeing was what ggleavitt refered to as the threaded metal cap. As soon as I get back, I'll tear into this and let you guys know.

Your support is deeply appreciated.

#7 ·
Sorry for my English but photos say much more. I made it few years ago and its simple trust me. There is 4 screw some of them covered with sponge cover
just pull away and glue it back after. Remember if screw fail down forget to get it out and will bingle and kloncking. To prevent put inside the tool strong magnet
from any old Hard disk computer. Just crash it and put inside. Will keep it good.

#9 · (Edited)
Going to run to the junkyard tomorrow AM and pull a bumper - but dug into mine tonight to grab photos to share, since I think I'm seeing something different than what you describe. Also saw this on the junkyard model.

At this point, I think I'll learn more once I take the bumper cover off at the junkyard, perhaps what I'm seeing can be removed from the outside, rather than from the inside.

#10 ·
Update - I'm a moron. I thought the soundproofing had been removed, so what I was seeing is in the top row of access holes. The one for the bumper is like what this thread describes and in the bottom row. 13mm is right, but looks like I'll need to get one of those ratcheting 13mm with the swivel head on it, or something like clawfeet to get it, since it appears to be off center. Don't know how they managed that, but I'm never against buying more tools!

#11 ·
You dont need nothing special. Straight tool to bolt and as I suggest put small pcs. of strong magnet inside the hole of tool 13 mm like this.
See photo...give me 5 min will post photo...

#12 · (Edited)
This is strong magnet from any HDD hard disk drive from any old PC or laptop.

Just broke small part and push it inside 13 mm tool hole and be sure will keep bolt when pulling out.

When you are going to tight back all 4 bolts band it with tape good and just pull out after. Use soft painting beige wall protection tape.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.