SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I replaced one of the rear bumper red reflectors and found out that they have a small bulb in them, I told my wife to hit the brakes and they didn't turn on, not even when the parking lights where on too.

are these just non working lights and to be only used as a reflector?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a recepticle for the right side (passenger side) for an additional light? I'd love to add the additional light back there for inclement weather. I know the left side is designed for that but I figure the more light the better!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am confused do the XC90's only have one rear fog light?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If any car is equipped with two rear fog lights it would then look like brake lights when they are turned on, thus only one "follow me home" fog light. On my previous XC90 the two lights in the lower bumper where running lights only. The fog light is on the driver’s side in the brake/back up light assembly. I believe in later model years the bumper light became inoperable and was only a reflector.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The left bumper light in the XC90 is the fog light. Guess I could pull off the right reflector and see if there is a recepticle in there. I would guess it would come with both and depending on which side of the road you drive on it would have the appropriate light? My belief is that the more light the better. If people behind me are confused, I guess they would figure it out when I do actually hit the brakes :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm guessing the right side is used for RHD vehicles. There are wires running down on both sides from the tail light wiring harness, so it's probably an easy mod if you want them both to light up.

·
Registered
953 Posts
OP

I believe the lights you are referring to are in the rear bumper
and yes
they do have lights in them that should be on all the time

The rear fog light is not the one in the bumper, it is the one in the tail lamp cluster on the driver side

In snow, I always noticed that the only rear light visible was the rear fog as its heat melted the overlying ice/snow, I have always wondered what the fog lamp is in cars with rear lights of LED's.
I have also noticed that traffic lights with LED's are not as visible when its blowing snow versus the old ones

(Not a problem in florida anymore :) )

·
Registered
564 Posts
The rear fog light is in the main taillamp cluster for pre-facelift XC90's (2003-2006) - the bumper lamps are used as running lights on both sides.

The rear fog is in the bumper for facelifted XC90's (2007+), i.e. only one side serves as a light, the other is left empty. The running lights are in the main taillight cluster only.

Regardless, the left side is used for LHD, and the right is used for RHD - i.e. regulation states that the fog must be on the car's driver's side, unless it is mounted in the middle (like the Chevy Orlando, for instance).

No cars have two rear fogs b/c then they would look like brake lights...especially since rear fogs are just as bright as brake lights/turn signals!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ah. In that case, it seems it's only common practice to only have one rear fog...

It could be that they wire them differently; the rear fog on mine is also in the bumper.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
my 01 oldsmobile aurora had/has two fog lights in the rear bumper. the lights in the corner of the bumper of our 06 xc90 are supposed to always be on. when i asked the dealer why an identical looking vehicle didnt have theirs on, they looked into it, and told me that some years have the peanut lights in the corner of the bumper and some dont. not sure if it was related to the facelift. needless to say,since tasca didnt have them, and the dealer wants $5 a bulb, i am not replacing the burned out peanut bulbs in the rear bumper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts