SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i dove right into my brakes like it was any other car. Long story short I ended up scrapping a rear caliper and just received the new one in the mail. My question is, exactly what scan tool must I use to put the car in service mode, can I do the rear brakes without the scan tool. what brake fluid will I need, and is there a specific tool I will need to bleed the brakes.

Any help is appreciated my car has been on jack stand for a week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've heard of vida but still unsure if I'll need a scan tool or just the plug and a laptop

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
it seems you need to save your self. the electronic brake systems today are pure sht. the system can be out thought by taking the electronic motor off the caliper and the mechanically screwed back in so the system will allow the new pads to fit. if you do not understand this, take it to a pro.

the easy way is to use the proper tools, and, knowledge.

otherwise, pay to have it fixed. brake fluid is a dot 4+ i think(what i use) or the SL6 or something like it, usually an ate fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it seems you need to save your self. the electronic brake systems today are pure sht. the system can be out thought by taking the electronic motor off the caliper and the mechanically screwed back in so the system will allow the new pads to fit. if you do not understand this, take it to a pro.

the easy way is to use the proper tools, and, knowledge.

otherwise, pay to have it fixed. brake fluid is a dot 4+ i think(what i use) or the SL6 or something like it, usually an ate fluid.

I'm capable, and weighed my options and decided anything I mess up is way under the price of the $1200 brake job my dealer quoted me at. So far I'm only $75 in lol. I removed the the old caliper and removed the electric motor. There is a splined hole that an Allen wrench fits. It has an e clip. Winding this takes turns the brake in? Does the e clip get removed? Do I need the scan tool to bleed the brakes? I'm not in front of it right now I'm just trying to get the most info before my next approach. I don't need a step by step but insight wor be nice. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
good on ya for doing it. i do not know of the e clip but i think you just screw the thing in. as for the bleeding i think if you only do a regular bleeding job the only thing missed is cycling the abs stuff (pulsing) so i guess that you do not end up bleeding the module.

i have not done it yet, and i was told by our volvo dealer the job would be about 500 bucks with new rotors and pads. i have akebono that i will use when i gotta do it.

best of luck! let us know how it goes. also i think these are the same systems as on an audi that i saw a YouTube video of, might be worth a look over there

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts