SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '17 V90CC to the dealer this AM for a grinding sound coming from the rear.

The inner right side brake pad was worn and was grinding against the rotor.
There is no audible wear indicator and no pad wear sensor according to the dealer.

They asked $880 to replace as it's not covered under warranty.. I declined as I can change them on my own for much less than that.

I'm surprised that the pads got chewed up in 17K miles.. and I find it unfathomable that a 2017 vehicle does not:

a. Have this covered under warranty.
b. Has no brake pad wear indicators of any kind

My 20 year old BMW had pad sensors. My 2007 Fj Cruiser is on its 2nd set of pads after 210K miles. This is retarded at best!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just paid closer to 600 for pads and rotors for rears in my 2011.

I also had grinding and was surprised by the lack of an indicator...

Way to do it yourself. I didn’t want to deal with the electric parking brake, so I took the easy way out this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
I too find it retrograde, no sensors?? I just checked teh parts lists to do front and rear brakes and sensors V90 doesn't use any sensors. I guess it relays on brake wear indicators...the squeaking noise then you just cruise.

I keep finding little things that show where Volvo has cut costs and keep it from becoming a full luxury brand.

Despite making sense brake pads are not covered under warranty, it is ridiculous that they only lasted 17k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had this happen on a few older cars. Cause was always a bad caliper. Did the dealer verify the caliper operation? The caliper should be covered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this happen on a few older cars. Cause was always a bad caliper. Did the dealer verify the caliper operation? The caliper should be covered.
They did not.. The pads were 7mm thick at the 10K service. They said 3mm is the limit for replacement. They went from from 7mm down to 0mm in 6800 miles!

This is going to get old really fast if I have to replace pads/rotors every 17K miles, which is my annual mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my rear callipers replaced on warranty. The dealer noticed something wrong at 7,000km. They also replaced my front rotors since they were already warped.

·
Registered
430 Posts
We used to have a Saab with the same issue. It turned out the brakes in that Saab model used close to 60/40 favoring the rear. The front would be good for another 10K miles.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Took my '17 V90CC to the dealer this AM for a grinding sound coming from the rear.

The inner right side brake pad was worn and was grinding against the rotor.
There is no audible wear indicator and no pad wear sensor according to the dealer.

They asked $880 to replace as it's not covered under warranty.. I declined as I can change them on my own for much less than that.

I'm surprised that the pads got chewed up in 17K miles.. and I find it unfathomable that a 2017 vehicle does not:

a. Have this covered under warranty.
b. Has no brake pad wear indicators of any kind

My 20 year old BMW had pad sensors. My 2007 Fj Cruiser is on its 2nd set of pads after 210K miles. This is retarded at best!
This isn't a cut and dry issue:

1. Driving habits. Do you do mostly City Driving. Far more braking than highway and shortens rotor / pad life.
2. Are one that rides the brake constantly?
3. Vehicles often have a front / rear bias....So #1, #2, Coupled with #3 = Faster Wear

Tech, a Volvo Tech on here, stated that he's seen XC90's blow threw brakes in 15K - 25K. Maybe your driving habits + V90 is the same way?

I have a 2015.5 S60 42,500 miles...and I drive 75% highway. Fronts sit at 10mm and rears sit at 8mm...Original Pads, Rotors, Brakes...I even have the Prepaid + Wear and the way I drive, I might never get a set replaced (unlikely) but just making a point.

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
They did not.. The pads were 7mm thick at the 10K service. They said 3mm is the limit for replacement. They went from from 7mm down to 0mm in 6800 miles!

This is going to get old really fast if I have to replace pads/rotors every 17K miles, which is my annual mileage.
They most likely did not check the inner pads when the car was in for service because it's harder to do - problem is that the pads wear unevenly with the inner pads wearing first most often. Easy to check the outer pads with the car being on the ground just looking through the spokes of the wheels. Brakes are standard wear and tear items and would never be covered under a warranty - especially pad wear. That said, for them to be gone in 17k miles is really early, maybe not compared to newer Volvo's but compared to any other car on the road.

To further complicate matters, if there was a wear sensor (either electric or otherwise) it's typically only on one pad, the outboard one, so wouldn't have helped you in this case anyway. Volvo's haven't had pad sensors of any kind for many years, at least as long as I've been driving them (20 years). I've done brake work on all of my cars over the years and the most elegant solution was the electric wear sensors in my buddy's MBZ C class.

It would be pretty rare for a relatively new car like this to have a caliper problem.

I have seen posts that accelerated pad wear is in part attributed to pilot assist braking. Hopefully you can get away with just changing pads next time so you aren't looking at both pads and rotors every time - that could get expensive. Also, maybe there's a harder compound pad available but like most things, the trade off would be less bite and perhaps worse braking performance - YMMV.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some factors: The 4WD system uses brakes when it adjusts power to wheels; we learned from another post that adaptive cruise can be hard on brakes when driving on hilly roads; thought I also read on another post that the auto brake (keeps brakes engaged at a stop if you lift your foot off the brake pedal)--and then probably the auto parking brake--adds to pad wear.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
They most likely did not check the inner pads when the car was in for service because it's harder to do - problem is that the pads wear unevenly with the inner pads wearing first most often. Easy to check the outer pads with the car being on the ground just looking through the spokes of the wheels. Brakes are standard wear and tear items and would never be covered under a warranty - especially pad wear. That said, for them to be gone in 17k miles is really early, maybe not compared to newer Volvo's but compared to any other car on the road.

To further complicate matters, if there was a wear sensor (either electric or otherwise) it's typically only on one pad, the outboard one, so wouldn't have helped you in this case anyway. Volvo's haven't had pad sensors of any kind for many years, at least as long as I've been driving them (20 years). I've done brake work on all of my cars over the years and the most elegant solution was the electric wear sensors in my buddy's MBZ C class.

It would be pretty rare for a relatively new car like this to have a caliper problem.

I have seen posts that accelerated pad wear is in part attributed to pilot assist braking. Hopefully you can get away with just changing pads next time so you aren't looking at both pads and rotors every time - that could get expensive. Also, maybe there's a harder compound pad available but like most things, the trade off would be less bite and perhaps worse braking performance - YMMV.
I'd make one one counterpoint. People are not paying Volvo for "easier", but for accuracy. Otherwise, the car could be taken to an indie for MUCH LESS. If the dealer did a lazy man's inspection and didn't check the inner pads, then I'd be pissed. Not accusing them of such actions, but responding to your comment.

Therefore, If I were OP, I would inquire how the dealership conducts their inspection. If he can prove they failed to check inner pads, I'd reach out to Volvo Corporate.

Sorry, but being lazy isn't an excuse to cost the OP $1,000 for new pads +rotors (IF and ONLY IF your statement were correct). It'd be analogous to Volvo saying your timing belt looks perfect by only inspecting the TOP and not rotating it to see all areas. And then the OP goes about his day, only to drop the engine after the belt snaps.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
As we work on more and more cars, we learn the common things to check closely on particular cars. I didn't know these SPA cars wore inner pads so quickly until I had one come in grinding. Then I started checking the inner pads with a mirror.

When I check a timing belt, I pop the cover open a little at the top and peek inside. If it's cracking, it will be cracking everywhere.

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
I'd make one one counterpoint. People are not paying Volvo for "easier", but for accuracy. Otherwise, the car could be taken to an indie for MUCH LESS. If the dealer did a lazy man's inspection and didn't check the inner pads, then I'd be pissed. Not accusing them of such actions, but responding to your comment.

Therefore, If I were OP, I would inquire how the dealership conducts their inspection. If he can prove they failed to check inner pads, I'd reach out to Volvo Corporate.

Sorry, but being lazy isn't an excuse to cost the OP $1,000 for new pads +rotors (IF and ONLY IF your statement were correct). It'd be analogous to Volvo saying your timing belt looks perfect by only inspecting the TOP and not rotating it to see all areas. And then the OP goes about his day, only to drop the engine after the belt snaps.
I think you are misinterpreting my comments. I'm just saying what may have happened, not that I condone it.

OP has a legitimate gripe with the dealer that did the inspection. Pads don't wear from 7mm down to metal in 7k miles.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I think you are misinterpreting my comments. I'm just saying what may have happened, not that I condone it.

OP has a legitimate gripe with the dealer that did the inspection. Pads don't wear from 7mm down to metal in 7k miles.
Apologies if you interpreted my comment as directed at you. I meant to respond in the sense that "if what you said took place"......I think OP probably has a legitimate gripe, too. There's a reasonable chance dealer cut corners on inspection by not measuring inner pads......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear OP. Had the same thing happen to me around 15k miles but attributed it to my driving style and the amount of hills in my area. Didn't take it to the dealer but had my friend's independent shop take care of the rear rotors and pads. My friend, the mechanic, had to call Volvo USA and ask if there were any recalls/service bulletins for rear rotors. They said there were no recalls/service bulletins/defects but now I wonder if there is some defect for the oem rear pads and/or rotors.

Taking a trip to Japan next month and will be trying to source ERST's set of pads for V90 while I'm there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear OP. Had the same thing happen to me around 15k miles but attributed it to my driving style and the amount of hills in my area. Didn't take it to the dealer but had my friend's independent shop take care of the rear rotors and pads. My friend, the mechanic, had to call Volvo USA and ask if there were any recalls/service bulletins for rear rotors. They said there were no recalls/service bulletins/defects but now I wonder if there is some defect for the oem rear pads and/or rotors.

Taking a trip to Japan next month and will be trying to source ERST's set of pads for V90 while I'm there.
Thanks for the info CLOUT. My driving style is mild most of the time; no different than in any of my other vehicle.. The brakes on my 6500lb G500 lasted around 60K miles on average so I suspect this a "Volvo" thing.. Regardless, all these little things will make this my first and last Volvo..

-Leo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm, I don't see how the auto brake or auto parking brake would have any affect on pad wear. In both cases when those systems are active, the car is not moving. Adaptive cruise I can see because it is probably using the brakes more than the driver would in normal driving.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hmm, I don't see how the auto brake or auto parking brake would have any affect on pad wear. In both cases when those systems are active, the car is not moving. Adaptive cruise I can see because it is probably using the brakes more than the driver would in normal driving.
I think the argument was the brakes don't disengage as soon as you touch the accelerator but rather after that split second when you apply power to overcome the brake. Sounded strange and I could be mis-remembering the post. But then again, when I drive into Boston during rush hour, those last 5-10 miles there's probably 50 full stops and gos and the incremental wear could add up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts