SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my XC90 in for service and they told me my rear pads had 4mm left. Suggestion is that within the next 5K that I do a brake job including the replacement of the rotors. This seems odd to me. Generally the fronts on a car will go first as that is where most of the braking is done. I have had many cars go 80K or more before the rear brakes are done. Anyone else have rear brakes needed before 30K on their XC90?

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most of the braking in most Volvo's is done at the rear

·
Registered
879 Posts
Rear pads every 30k (+/- 10k) is the new normal due to electric parking brake, auto-hold, and pilot assist/adaptive cruise. Get use to it.

AND its always the inboard pad the wears faster. DO not look at the outside pad and think you are ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I brought my XC90 in for service and they told me my rear pads had 4mm left. Suggestion is that within the next 5K that I do a brake job including the replacement of the rotors. This seems odd to me. Generally the fronts on a car will go first as that is where most of the braking is done. I have had many cars go 80K or more before the rear brakes are done. Anyone else have rear brakes needed before 30K on their XC90?

Thanks
oh yea - had to change 4 brakes at around 20K miles. just got them changed a couple months back.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I assume that the electric parking brake as such doesn't wear out the pads more than a manual one?
I don't feel that the car brakes more at the rear, but I do feel it with ACC.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The last time I had the rears done our independent commented on how often. 4x in 40k miles. Disks replaced only once.

We live in a hilly area so chalk it up to that. Plan on replacing the disks too since the pads don’t have wear indicators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
How’s rotor/pad life on T8 owners vehicles?

·
Registered
109 Posts
How’s rotor/pad life on T8 owners vehicles?
I just brought my t8 in last week for 30k service and the tech said very little wear on any of the pads, but I try to use the regen breaking as much as possible and don’t use adaptive cc that often.

2017 XC90 T8 Inscription | Luminous Sand | Blond Interior (leather and carpet) | Vision | Conv | Climate

·
Registered
311 Posts

Thanks
I changed my XC90's rear pads around 26K miles, the lowest pad had ~3mm left.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I just brought my t8 in last week for 30k service and the tech said very little wear on any of the pads, but I try to use the regen breaking as much as possible and don’t use adaptive cc that often.
^^ Avoiding ACC is probably the main reason your brakes are doing ok @30K.

Anyone that uses their ACC often enough or lives in hilly areas with lots of traffic will have shorter brake life.

My service guy mentioned that with the 10k service intervals, a lot of people end up with worn pads eating into their rotors.
In the "old" days, when service intervals were shorter, it was easier to catch worn pads before any damage was done.
It doesn't help much that Volvo uses softer pads or that the XC90 is very heavy.

We just need to be more proactive in checking the pads with this car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Had my rear brakes changed at 27K a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Our XC had 44k miles and I was suggested to do a brake job. Is this DYI-able? If yes, can someone post a link to how-to ? Thx!

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Our XC had 44k miles and I was suggested to do a brake job. Is this DYI-able? If yes, can someone post a link to how-to ? Thx!
yes if you can do on other cars. not much special. just need to rewind rear parking brake motor with a battery. There is a post here but I can't search right now.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
At my 40K service recently they said my rear pads would be due for replacement in the next 5K miles....I guess I'm lucky to get this much milage!

·
Registered
654 Posts
The last time I had the rears done our independent commented on how often. 4x in 40k miles. Disks replaced only once.

We live in a hilly area so chalk it up to that. Plan on replacing the disks too since the pads don’t have wear indicators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You sure someone isn't driving two footed? I find if one foot is used to switch between accelerator and brake, brake wear goes way down.

·
Registered
526 Posts
i don't use ACC and my 2017 brakes were done at 42,000km. The new cars brakes wears out so fast.......similar to japanese cars now. the old xc90 i only did the rears around 150,000km and the fronts at 80,000km. I am also certain that lane departure has something to do with it. I disabled lane departure right now (since the last rear brake job) to see if it will extend the life of the rears.

I mostly do highway (70%).

·
Registered
850 Posts
Digging this thread up because I just took my car in for its 30,000 service, and surprise!-- I needed all four brake pads/rotors replaced. An unpleasant jolt at over $900, but that's life, and it seems pretty typical.

So here's why I am adding a new comment. I bought the Volvo extended warranty from Steingold, including wear and tear, good to 100K miles. I had assumed that it would cover the brake job, BUT, as it turns out, it apparently only covers the car from 40K-100K. In other words, the warranty doesn't kick in until 40K, so I was on the hook for the brake job. Ouch. Just a heads up for those with a similar extended warranty-- try to make your brakes last past 40K if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Digging this thread up because I just took my car in for its 30,000 service, and surprise!-- I needed all four brake pads/rotors replaced. An unpleasant jolt at over $900, but that's life, and it seems pretty typical.

So here's why I am adding a new comment. I bought the Volvo extended warranty from Steingold, including wear and tear, good to 100K miles. I had assumed that it would cover the brake job, BUT, as it turns out, it apparently only covers the car from 40K-100K. In other words, the warranty doesn't kick in until 40K, so I was on the hook for the brake job. Ouch. Just a heads up for those with a similar extended warranty-- try to make your brakes last past 40K if you can.
If I was in your spot I would just put some aftermarket brake pads on for the next 10k. Then swap back to the old pads (just in case aftermarket somehow disables the warranty, but mainly so you would have worn pads when bringing it in) and bring it in at 40,001. That's a lot cheaper and the aftermarket pads will work just fine for the next 10k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts