SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the car in last month and they said my rear brake pads were down to 3mm. I am amazed how quickly these wore down, I only have 30,000 miles on the car. The front brakes are fine. Does this sound like premature wear? Does the car use the rear brakes for torque vectoring, or something? How can I check for seized calipers?

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
While it depends a lot on the driver, this does not sound abnormal for these P3 cars. While it is disappointing, many folks on here have experienced about the same wear as you. I am at 47k on the originals, but will need to do them shortly.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
That is a little quick but not out of the ordinary. We are at 45k on our XC60 and I will be changing the rear pads soon.

I think I read somewhere that on the SPA cars, where brake life is even shorter, it's attributable to Pilot Assist and automated braking.

Does your car have ACC by chance and do you use it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a little quick but not out of the ordinary. We are at 45k on our XC60 and I will be changing the rear pads soon.

I think I read somewhere that on the SPA cars, where brake life is even shorter, it's attributable to Pilot Assist and automated braking.

Does your car have ACC by chance and do you use it?
I do not have ACC, but I wish I did. I also just ready about having to use either VIDA or remove the electronic parking brake actuators. Wish I didnt have to replace the seals and bolts!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Nothing too out of the ordinary there. It's likely only the inner pads. Save the outers and next time the inners wear down, swap them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
TLDR: Its not uncommon, so nothing to worry about.

I also had to replace my rear pads at 30k, the fronts were fine, I've never had a car that wore out rear brakes before fronts.
I'm not sure how accurate it is but there was a suggestion in another thread that the rears are engaged slightly before the fronts to prevent dive but the brakes weren't upsized to accommodate the additional use so they just wear out quicker. I believe the parking brake actuates just one of the rear pads which some attributed to the wear but unless you're applying the brake while moving or not releasing it before attempting to drive away I don't see how static application of the brake pads will increase the wear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had the rear brakes pads changed at my 30k service, the fronts were fine. I do like to take long sweepers at speed so that's what probably wears them out as the car tries to keep it all under control. Otherwise I pretty much just drive sanely so don't abuse the brakes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had the car in last month and they said my rear brake pads were down to 3mm. I am amazed how quickly these wore down, I only have 30,000 miles on the car. The front brakes are fine. Does this sound like premature wear? Does the car use the rear brakes for torque vectoring, or something? How can I check for seized calipers?
Yes, they are used for torque vectoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate it is but there was a suggestion in another thread that the rears are engaged slightly before the fronts to prevent dive
That was a theory I had, but further investigation did not support it. From what I've been able to dig up there is no evidence that the rear pads engage first.

The technique would work as an anti-dive mechanism but there is no evidence I've seen to indicate that it's actually used.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 2012 wears out rear pads faster than the front. Dealership said it was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts