SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took wife's XC for yearly oil change, tire rotation, state inspection, etc.
Right Rear brake pads were getting very low (left rear and fronts good) , only 27,200 miles on the car.
Is this considered normal range, or something is sticking?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
You live in a mountaineous area? I often brake on the engine... also use alot of anticipation.

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Of course it depends on usage. Wife’s S80 spends most of its life in the city, so around 30k I’m replacing pads and sometimes rotors. Mine’s on the road more and I’m a light foot, so in 140k on the 08XC70, I’m in every 40k or so. Never have experienced uneven wear like that. Something is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You live in a mountaineous area? I often brake on the engine... also use alot of anticipation.

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)
Yes, quite hilly around here with lots of stop and go, but on the other hand wife is defensive driver and does not like to go fast.
I ordered the pads, and will attempt to do the job myself.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes, quite hilly around here with lots of stop and go, but on the other hand wife is defensive driver and does not like to go fast.
I ordered the pads, and will attempt to do the job myself.....
If one side is worn a lot more than the other I would look to pads maybe hanging up in the caliper (rust, dirt, tight fit)
Piston sticking.
When you replace the pads on both sides thoroughly clean and lube everything. Pads should slide in without binding.
Pistons should retract easily. (could also be the electronic parking brake).
Do a complete flush of brake fluid if it hasn't been done in the past 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
Cars with electronic parking brakes often wear rear pads abnormally quickly. Not really a sign of failure, but p3s are famous for it. The SPA car still have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agreed! Have a 2009 XC70 T6 and have had the rear brakes wear out in as little as 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Last year at same yearly service, while checking the pads with the mechanic when the wheels were off, the pads looked like at same thickness left/right. That was ~5000 miles ago.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I use 12V battery, or car's own aux. 12v socket power to back-drive the EPB motor with the piston as one unit, instead of disassembly of the EPB motor and winding back the EPB plate and squeezing the piston?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts