SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm already making plans for my yet-to-be purchased 122 DD.

Has anyone attempted to install shoulders belts for the rear seat of a 2-dr 122? Any comments/advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It can certainly be done. Belts from 140/164 or 240 will work. Some of the mounting points are there, others you get to engineer yourself.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, George...I'll explore my options

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just got a set installed by my local auto upholstery shop. it looks like they did a bang up job, i will post pictures as soon as i get an opportunity to take them.

i initially wanted to do them myself, but... they're seatbelts, and they're for the kidlings, so i decided to go with good folks who have experience doing it.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Hi. I'm already making plans for my yet-to-be purchased 122 DD.

Has anyone attempted to install shoulders belts for the rear seat of a 2-dr 122? Any comments/advice would be appreciated
Decided on the gray'63. Pickin it up today!!!!
i just got a set installed by my local auto upholstery shop. it looks like they did a bang up job, i will post pictures as soon as i get an opportunity to take them.

i initially wanted to do them myself, but... they're seatbelts, and they're for the kidlings, so i decided to go with good folks who have experience doing it.
That was quick!

Congrats on the '63 Amazon - consider starting a new thread with pics and history so we can admire your new DD.

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Nice! I'd really be interested in the pics as refernce for both myself and shop, if i decide to pursue that route.

·
Registered
50 Posts
here you go, sorry it took so long. i tried to show the topside and bottomside pics together, so:
this is top,

this is what it looks like underneath.

these holes are the center mounts. the only ones that came with the car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey John,

mine are 9", but mine don't snake through the center armrest opening. they emerge between the seat bottom and back. i'll take pics and post when i can..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seatbelt mounted on the rear shelf isn't ideal...Ideally the top mount is both to the side, behind, and above the shoulder level of the passenger. Check out any car built in the last few decades and they'll have them mounted in that position. Angled down and behind is for a race harness passing through a seat where the belt holes are above the shoulders of the occupant. That belt setup will hold someone in the car, but it might put a big compressive strain on their spine when they fly forward and the belt directs them downwards as they are constrained by the belt.

Some times the retractor calls to be mounted in a vertical position and not a horizontal position, as well. Check your manufacturer to be sure.

If the belts are just for legality and not safety, fire away...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think I will plan to use the system as described/documented by Fredrik Lofter (not sure where link is, but have pdf of his approach) which uses the reals/retractors mounted vertically, inside of trunk, to the inner wheel housing. The belt is fed thru the rear shelf via the openings that are already there. The belt runners would be attached to the c-post with the existing fittings behind headliner. The end of the belt would be attached to the bottom of the c-post and supported underneath by some big-ass washers. Center push-buckles attached to the threaded holes behind the back seat (with additional waher and nuts underbody. Similar approach to Bikey, with just different retractor location.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Seat belts went in last night in just a couple of hours. However, the center buckles are a little long, at 13", and since the attachment bracket sits flush with the body, its causes the buckles to really make an ugly 'S' to snake thru the top/bottom seats and be located such that the occupant doesn't have to sit on it. Think I may try to source some other buckles, a bit shorter, with 90 degree mounting bracket.

·
Registered
123 Posts
mulled aroound in a pick a part yard yesterday, found a 65 122s that haad what I believe were 240 belts up front, and the old 3 pts in back. They were in bad shape but showed all the mounting points and possibility of clean upgrade. Currently I am researching all the aftermarket belts on line. the main question I have is what length of webbing should I geton the female end to reach up past seat, front and back. Also maybe getting the old Mustang tyle metal clasps? Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Pics of my install per frederick Lofter's instructions:

Retraction wheel on inner wheel well:

End of belt connection to front of wheel housing:

Belt Runners to C-pillar:

center buckles to behind seat:

back together, but buckles pokin' you in the arse!

with a little reversal:

much better:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, George. It will get there soon, well, eventually. I sold my S60R, so the Amazon is my true daily driver..so the work will continue in small increments.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mulled aroound in a pick a part yard yesterday, found a 65 122s that haad what I believe were 240 belts up front, and the old 3 pts in back. They were in bad shape but showed all the mounting points and possibility of clean upgrade. Currently I am researching all the aftermarket belts on line. the main question I have is what length of webbing should I geton the female end to reach up past seat, front and back. Also maybe getting the old Mustang tyle metal clasps? Thanks for the post.
Used these from JC whitney....length is adequate to mount in trunk and fit to center buckles...just my skinny kids in the back, but I tested it out on myself: 5'10", 165lbs and had plenty of extra belt length should I double up my burrito intake.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...17255y1963j1&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13372038423284

1 - 20 of 20 Posts