SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last evening was the 2nd time my Nav system has let me down.
Previously it took me off the NJ turnpike around various suburbs before re-joining the Turnpike! I was fuming.

Last night it took me off a major interstate around a 10 minute loop before taking me back to exactly the same spot that I left the Interstate. I'm guessing it would have repeated that loop
indefinitely,

I completed my journey using a cell-phone app.

I'm afraid I simply no longer trust my Nav system. Add that to the fact that I cannot get sound from my iPhone while connected to the USB port and frankly I'm looking at something else for my next lease!!

Rant over. I love everything else about my S60 T6 E-Drive!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Previously it took me off the NJ turnpike around various suburbs before re-joining the Turnpike! I was fuming.

Last night it took me off a major interstate around a 10 minute loop before taking me back to exactly the same spot that I left the Interstate. I'm guessing it would have repeated that loop
indefinitely,

I'm afraid I simply no longer trust my Nav system. Add that to the fact that I cannot get sound from my iPhone while connected to the USB port and frankly I'm looking at something else for my next lease!!

Something is not right...I would go back to your retailer and have them check it out; perhaps, you may need to have your Nav software re-downloaded.

I have never had this issue, in the very busy freeways of Southern California.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Today my V60 nav system got me to the Adirondack Wild Center on winding back county roads for 80 miles. It was the fastest and most efficient route. Waze on my iPhone wanted to send me over 100 miles out of the way!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The Volvo Nav definitely takes weird routes to get around traffic, so that may have something to do with it. It had me looping all around SF yesterday wasting time to avoid traffic that didn't really exist based on Google Maps and Waze.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just got my update discs in the mail last week. Naturally I had to join Laura Croft to uncover the secret code to allow the update to start, since the enclosed instructions were worthless and the first call met with, "just try them with no code..." and we know how that turned out... Second call revealed The Secret Hidden Map Code and the update started.

Really? I've got the bloody discs and have to go through interrogation before I can start the update?

Rant off...I'm better now...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

Last night it took me off a major interstate around a 10 minute loop before taking me back to exactly the same spot that I left the Interstate. I'm guessing it would have repeated that loop indefinitely.
That's pretty much the same problem I have had ever since installing the latest nav upgrade. See my comments at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...5-gig-file!)&p=2568660&viewfull=1#post2568660

Just got my update discs in the mail last week. Naturally I had to join Laura Croft to uncover the secret code to allow the update to start, since the enclosed instructions were worthless and the first call met with, "just try them with no code..." and we know how that turned out... Second call revealed The Secret Hidden Map Code and the update started.

Really? I've got the bloody discs and have to go through interrogation before I can start the update?

Rant off...I'm better now...
Probably not for long, Rick. The latest nav software upgrade has some serious bugs in the routing algorithm. I suspect you will regret having made the update.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

indefinitely,

Some of those suburbs off the NJ Turnpike arent the safest! It doesnt solve your problem, but I always check the entire route of a GPS route before leaving to see if it does what you are describing, even on a phone. I have been lost too many times relying solely on GPS.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I have the pre-Sensus Connect navigation system, but it still has done some stupid things.

A few weeks ago it took me through the heart of a not very nice area when I easily could have gotten to the same place on the parkway. There was probably about 10 minutes of traffic on the parkway according to Waze, but I was going to be 20 minutes early so I figured I'd follow the Volvo route and just avoid the parkway. I got where I was going 5 minutes late thanks to the VNS being completely oblivious to any non-highway traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine told me to get off the turnpike and sent me through Irvington on my way towards Union...yeah never again. Now I stick with google for directions and just use the nav screen for the map

·
Registered
72 Posts
We telling stories? I tried a name search for Kaiser Medical Center on North Capitol. As soon as I clicked in KA it would lock and start listing every kabob restaurant in DC. Never did get it to tell me where the medical center was.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
We telling stories? I tried a name search for Kaiser Medical Center on North Capitol. As soon as I clicked in KA it would lock and start listing every kabob restaurant in DC. Never did get it to tell me where the medical center was.
Did you guys specifically pay for navigation or it was tacked on to some package you wanted for other features?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Part of the Platinum level upgrade, as I recall. All water under the bridge, now. Just not sure which bridge and what water. :D
That is funny :)
I hate when they package the options like this. I was never a fan of built in navigation systems. You can get the latest and greatest Garmin with all the features and a backup camera for $400 and that includes lifetime traffic and updates. I can see the value is having only one display but on the other hand having two is also nice :)
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Part of the Platinum level upgrade, as I recall. All water under the bridge, now. Just not sure which bridge and what water. :D
In an attempt to build a bridge over troubled waters, I would like to point out that the routing algorithm flaws in the current release of the nav system are the fault of HERE (formerly Navteq) and not VCC per se -- not that that makes us (or Simon and Garfunkel, for that matter) any less annoyed.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Google Maps screwed up big time for me the other day.

No nav system is perfect, but there are three major problems with contemporary integrated systems:

1. They don't have access to crowd-sourced traffic data and tend to only have traffic info for major thruways in metro areas.
2. They use poor and outdated routing logic with less accurate source data from a weak onboard computer rather than an amazingly powerful server.
3. Maps are not updated nearly as frequently, and even long term closures are usually completely ignored.

·
Registered
14,454 Posts
But how were the kabobs? ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts