SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not belong here, so the mods can move it to where they seem fit. But, it's a great article on the therapeutic nature of working on old cars. Some of us take a long time to find our "soul car" to rehab, others may have a few in their lives. But either way, the article makes some great points, the best of which is...enjoy the car you're working on. Have fun with it, figure out problems with ingenuity and resourcefulness, and make sure you pick up a few new friends in the process.

Enjoy

http://petrolicious.com/i-found-peace-working-on-old-cars

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew you'd appreciate that , jedd!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for that Tony! Funny, I just acquired my SECOND Fiat 124 Spider to add to my 'collection'.... In addition to my 1963 PV. The Fiats are great little cars mechanically, with those sweet rev happy DOHC Lampredi engines, 5 speed trans and 4 wheel discs. Cheap to keep, great looks and a blast to drive. Downright modern compared to the PV! But not TOO modern... I appreciate the honest simplicity of points and carbs technology.

Working on old cars is indeed a form of therapy to offset life's various frustrations.... and when I get frustrated with the limits of my shade tree mechanical skills, I go into the kitchen and cook up a storm. If that fails, there is always alcohol.... :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scoopman, you sound like a man after my own heart...though I switch the drinking and the cooking sometimes :D

I remember you mentioning the Fiat's you had, and figured you'd appreciate this, too!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I meant nothing BUT drinking. There is nearly always SOME drinking involved, limited or otherwise, concurrent with other activities mentioned. :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a Scoopman, Jedd, T5 for Life project would be a dangerous proposition, lol!! At least we'd have fun!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am picturing something like the Deathmobile from Animal House, except more Swedish, with Viking horns and a battering ram made from an oak log with a scary animal head with a big horrible mouth and bulging eyeballs carved into the end. Start with a PV, chop the hell out of it, mount it on a chassis welded up out of I beams, shoehorn a supercharged LS in there, and maybe throw some Fiat parts in there just to be gratuitous, and also because I have them sitting around anyway. Something to strike fear in the heart of Dimitri. :cool:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let the build commence!!! I nominate jedd's ZONE as the rendezvous point!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts