SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So within the last week I've been getting a real bad exhaust smell in the car but I dont hear any kind of exhaust leak from the exhaust. I do have a 3 inch catless down pipe and aftermarket exhaust dont remember the brand. Any ideas of entry points of the fumes. The system has been on for about 6 months. The smell just started happening.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Catless downpipe is root of the problem. I've installed 3'' downpipe with sport catalyst. And exhaust doesn't smell bad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok but where would it be coming in to the car with all the windows rolled up

·
Registered
60 Posts
If smell coming into car with rolled up windows then I think that you downpipe gasket or corrugated exhaust pipe are broken. You need to listen the engine after cold start. If there is a small hole you will hear it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ok but where would it be coming in to the car with all the windows rolled up

Lot's of folks have had a exhaust manifold gasket leak after time, this is where I would look. Crawl under the car with a light and look for any soot/black near exhaust joints...

·
Registered
861 Posts
That smell may be engine blowby and not exhaust. Check the rubber PCV hose near the oil fill cap as they often crack, and since you recently started smelling it that could mean the hose has cracked.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a leak at the down pipe and turbo flange. Upon further research found out it is the early style gasket for upto 04. Mine is an 07. So I will be ordering a new gasket and re checking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts