Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 26>

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the EPA rating of 22/25, have any of you actually seen this kind of mileage per gallon?

I drive in comfort mode, have a fairly lead foot, been getting about 18.5 mixed driving. Just curious what everyone else is getting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It appears I'm not yet able to reply to the poll since I just joined, but I will chime in. I've got about 500 miles driven and I've been getting 20-21 mixed driving. I've been experimenting with the Eco setting and have seen a slight increase from the standard Comfort mode, but have gotten pretty solid MPG in Comfort as well. In true city settings with a lot of stop and go I've been in the 15-16 MPG range so far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm at 19.5 avg mpg through 1,360 miles and 28 avg mph. I also almost exclusively use Comfort mode. But, as you can see in the avg MPH driven, I'm doing mostly city/stop and go driving.

I have read some other posts here on SS that dig deeper into this, and I seem to recall people saying the first 1,000 miles of engine break-in produced lower MPG than longer-term. I'm hoping it gets a little better as time goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read some other posts here on SS that dig deeper into this, and I seem to recall people saying the first 1,000 miles of engine break-in produced lower MPG than longer-term. I'm hoping it gets a little better as time goes.
im close to 4k now, and it has not improved any.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The trip computer is very optimistic (it lies)- it tells me around 20-21mpg mostly city but calculating it the old way shows more like 18.5mpg.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
According to my VOC app, I'm at 20.9 mpg with an average speed of 5 (yes, 5) mph.

I have just under 4800 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My daily commute is only about 25 minutes so I average roughly 17mpg. On the weekends when I go on mini-vacations I can get around 22-23.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My XC90 is at 2500 miles, with an average speed of 48mph (thank goodness not 5!) and reports 22.5mpg. Based on actual fueling recorded in Road Trip app, I'm getting 21.5mpg. Best results for a tank of gas, according to RT, is 23mpg, and that was almost all highway. Not much better than my 2011 Acadia, which got ~20/21mpg highway in winter (with regular gas, FWIW). I'll be interested to see if there's a difference once the XC90 is a little more broken in and weather is warmer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am getting 16.6 mpg with an average speed of 13 mph. Total mileage is 1833 on the VOC app. I spend a lot of time idling waiting for my wife and that factors in to this number ( because of all the battery issues on the forum I never sit with the car off if I am listening to music or running the A/C). I was getting an average of 13 mpg city/ Hwy with my 2006 s60r so i am not complaining after all it has 7 seats and as comfortable as my living room. If I am not idling I seem to sit around 19-20 mpg for a trip. If I add the auto stop start it will jump up but I hate using it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2505 miles on my XC9TEE drive mostly in Comfort mode and per my dashboard on the last tank full of 93 octane I average 27mph with an average consumption of 23.9mpg. I am a fairly conservative driver and do not step into it unless I need it ;) Also, just drove from Richmond to NYC and got got 28.6mpg on 93 Octane driving 90% of the drive in ECO mode

·
Registered
83 Posts
According to VOC app's dashboard, 1,333 miles, 19.7 mpg, 18 mph. true stop and go city driving is about 15-17 mpg. My commute takes me into the suburbs and I'd say the mpg when I'm in the suburbs is closer to 19-22. Highway driving in Eco mode can be as high as 27-28 mpg.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have 4221 miles on the odometer. My VOC app tellsme I'm gettiving 21.9 average and my average speed is 28mph. I mostly drive back and forth to work during the week and that's partly on side roads and freeways with quite a bit of traffic.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Averaging 18.6 (rounded to 19 for the poll) and 25 mph over 2,800 miles so far, about half highway using comfort mode and half city using dynamic. About the same as the V6 Mazda CX-9 before this so I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Averaging 18.6 (rounded to 19 for the poll) and 25 mph over 2,800 miles so far, about half highway using comfort mode and half city using dynamic. About the same as the V6 Mazda CX-9 before this so I'm fine with it.
These MPG numbers are not that good for a car with a 2.0L 4 cylinder. The Q7 and Mercedes GL do just as well with bigger more powerful 3.0L 6 cylinder engines. These numbers are further proof that the move to smaller more forced engines does not improve actual numbers..it just improves numbers in fuel economy tests. I suspect a large motivation for Volvo in using only 2.0L engines is due to the displacement taxation schemes in eurozone nations, and not having the engineering resources to develop 2 engine families simultaneously.

I love the overall package but the engine just sounds very out of place in such an expensive vehicle when you step on the gas. People might put up with this engine in the XC90 due to the excellent packaging but it will be a very tough sell in the S90 unless the price is extremely compelling.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Oh boy, haters gonna hate.

They can make it consistently good on fuel by muting the throttle response, but then we'd complain that 4 cylinders don't work because they're slow. I'd rather have the ability to do either, have good fuel mileage or good throttle response. Even an electric car has trade offs for throttle response, stomp on it and watch your range decrease.....until we get our nuclear cars! Woohoo!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Oh boy, haters gonna hate.

They can make it consistently good on fuel by muting the throttle response, but then we'd complain that 4 cylinders don't work because they're slow. I'd rather have the ability to do either, have good fuel mileage or good throttle response. Even an electric car has trade offs for throttle response, stomp on it and watch your range decrease.....until we get our nuclear cars! Woohoo!!

Not hating...just questioning the wisdom of using a 4 cylinder engine when competitors with 6 cylinders achieve largely the same fuel economy. The car drives great, but some of the sounds it emanates are out of place in a vehicle that can get very close to $70,000 when optioned out.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The 6 cylinders that compete with the 4 cylinders when it comes to miles per gallon are diesels, not gasoline.

Many of the midsize luxury vehicles are starting to come with 4 cylinders as well. It's where the market is going for various reasons.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts