SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi friends!

Currently in the middle of finding a XC60 to replace our 2007 XC90 V8. One thing I wouldn't mind would be a bit better fuel economy from the V8 and I'm wondering if there is a big difference between the 3.2 and T6? I realize that a Turbo can suck a lot of fuel when being pushed but we do a ton of highway/country road driving and I usually just cruise around 50mph. I'm looking at 2012-2013 models with 60k miles or around that.

I should note that I looked at fuelly.com and numbers seem almost identical between the two engines which was surprising.

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
We use our XC60 mainly for trips or long drives (mostly highway) so our averages are around 25-26 mpg doing 70-80 mph.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We use our XC60 mainly for trips or long drives (mostly highway) so our averages are around 25-26 mpg doing 70-80 mph.
Its very decent indeed. What engine do you have? We average 19-20 in the XC90 which is decent but not great.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Its very decent indeed. What engine do you have? We average 19-20 in the XC90 which is decent but not great.
T6 w/ the Polestar tune

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had several 3.2 and T6 P3 company cars. When my trips were on level ground the 3.2 did better but when there were hills the 3.2 got worse as it had to grab 4th or even 3rd to get up mild hills when the T6 would handle the same in 6th. I think that you will said you drive around 50 mph a lot in your travels, that will be where the 3.2 has low torque and will be downshifting to 4th or 3rd on grades. I'd do the T6 powertrain.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
2013 T6, around 22.5, pretty much back and forth dropping kids off and groceries on the weekend. On longer road trips it goes up to 25-26 doing 70-75mph.

·
Registered
412 Posts

100% agree with cattlecar recommending the T6. The T6 is very torquey and won’t be shifting up/ down at the speeds you will be driving. My commute is about 26 miles each way through some moderately hilly terrain at freeway speeds. If you keep your foot out of it on flatter ground, the T6 can be pretty miserly. On my way back from OBX last month, I averaged 26MPG.

Other notes:
The consensus on this board is that the 3.2s seem more prone to piston ring issues than the T6s too. Also, 70K is the spark plug replacement interval (at least on the T6). It’s not a super expensive job, but would recommend that you get that done as part of your purchase agreement or soon after the purchase of an XC60 with the mileage you mentioned.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much! Good info. I think coming from an xc90 V8 I'll have no other option than to get a T6 🙂

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Also: if the difference in fuel cost is so small, wouldn’t you want the significantly more enjoyable vehicle? The T6 will feel like a rocket to you. The 3.2, not so much. Plus the T6 is likely to hold its value better which may compensate for a slightly higher initial cost and any minor difference in fuel economy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts