SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the real time traffic for the navigation is coming from? I've heard its from the XM radio but also heard it comes from having the cell connection. I have a fully loaded inscription in the US. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know where the real time traffic for the navigation is coming from? I've heard its from the XM radio but also heard it comes from having the cell connection. I have a fully loaded inscription in the US. Thanks for the help.
As far as I know it comes from the XM radio. I think there is a setting in sensus where you can see it. I havent played with it enough.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
XM Radio. If you're just looking for a general sense of traffic it's fine. If you really need to be routed based on real-time traffic you need to use on of the better mobile apps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XM Radio. If you're just looking for a general sense of traffic it's fine. If you really need to be routed based on real-time traffic you need to use on of the better mobile apps.
I totally agree. I just looked at the sensus and sure enough it's coming from XM. The rerouting feature is terrible on XM so will not pay for it once the free subscription runs out. I wish Waze would be part of the available apps that can be used through android auto when that becomes available but i'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wish Waze would be part of the available apps that can be used through android auto when that becomes available but i'm not holding my breath.
It will be. A member of the beta team was on Reddit answering questions and it's definitely on the roadmap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I totally agree. I just looked at the sensus and sure enough it's coming from XM. The rerouting feature is terrible on XM so will not pay for it once the free subscription runs out. I wish Waze would be part of the available apps that can be used through android auto when that becomes available but i'm not holding my breath.
Do you guys know when Android Auto will be available?

On my 2016 Jetta Sport I have Android auto and can use Google Maps. It is not as good as Waze but it gives you real traffic information

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Do you guys know when Android Auto will be available?

On my 2016 Jetta Sport I have Android auto and can use Google Maps. It is not as good as Waze but it gives you real traffic information
Next year is all Volvo has officially said. There was some discussion of a May 2016 update but not sure that's official.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Having actually used the current Volvo nav system for over a year and its predecessors for six years, I would have to respectfully disagree with you. A bit of history might be relevant here. Starting with MY 2008 and continuing through MY 2015, Volvo incorporated RTI into three different nav systems, beginning with pre-Sensus 2008-2010 and then Sensus 2.0 and 3.0 in 2011 through 2015. These earlier iterations of RTI, which sourced traffic info from the subcarrier of a local FM station, worked reasonably well, but the reroutings were often a bit too aggressive and did not take into account the fact that traffic on the suggested alternative reroutings on secondary roads might well be even slower than on the original route. Changes in traffic were often not reported promptly enough, and some reported backups were historical by the time they were reached. I found it frequently necessary to override the suggested rerouting, based either on experience or intuition.

Beginning summer of 2014 with MY 2015.5, Sensus Connect sources traffic info from Sirius XM radio. The suggested reroutings seem to be far less rash and better-considered: traffic changes and cleared backups are reported and incorporated into the routing suggestions much more promptly, with the result that a rerouting is often voided and the original route restored or yet another route is suggested. I find, all things considered, that the current system works reasonably well and far better than its more hysterical, less-refined predecessors. As I previously reported, the most recent update last spring changed the routing algorithms, with the result that the system now occasionally generates spurious routings that its predecessor didn't. If it wasn't broke, they shouldn't have fixed it.

As I also mentioned previously, I have used the current Volvo system simultaneously with Waze and have found the routing results sometimes identical and sometimes different, with no clear accuracy advantage to either system. I do like the option of three different route choices that Volvo offers, but I also like the unique community-based info on road hazards/police/etc in Waze and usually use it on road trips as a supplement to the Volvo nav. In the best of all worlds, the in-car system would incorporate such supplementary info, but I can live with my current solution of using both systems simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The trial period for Sirius XM radio is six months, but the trial period for RTI sourced from Sirius XM is in fact four years.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Having actually used the current Volvo nav system for over a year and its predecessors for six years, I would have to respectfully disagree with you. A bit of history might be relevant here. Starting with MY 2008 and continuing through MY 2015, Volvo incorporated RTI into three different nav systems, beginning with pre-Sensus 2008-2010 and then Sensus 2.0 and 3.0 in 2011 through 2015. These earlier iterations of RTI, which sourced traffic info from the subcarrier of a local FM station, worked reasonably well, but the reroutings were often a bit too aggressive and did not take into account the fact that traffic on the suggested alternative reroutings on secondary roads might well be even slower than on the original route. Changes in traffic were often not reported promptly enough, and some reported backups were historical by the time they were reached. I found it frequently necessary to override the suggested rerouting, based either on experience or intuition.

Beginning summer of 2014 with MY 2015.5, Sensus Connect sources traffic info from Sirius XM radio. The suggested reroutings seem to be far less rash and better-considered: traffic changes and cleared backups are reported and incorporated into the routing suggestions much more promptly, with the result that a rerouting is often voided and the original route restored or yet another route is suggested. I find, all things considered, that the current system works reasonably well and far better than its more hysterical, less-refined predecessors. As I previously reported, the most recent update last spring changed the routing algorithms, with the result that the system now occasionally generates spurious routings that its predecessor didn't. If it wasn't broke, they shouldn't have fixed it.

As I also mentioned previously, I have used the current Volvo system simultaneously with Waze and have found the routing results sometimes identical and sometimes different, with no clear accuracy advantage to either system. I do like the option of three different route choices that Volvo offers, but I also like the unique community-based info on road hazards/police/etc in Waze and usually use it on road trips as a supplement to the Volvo nav. In the best of all worlds, the in-car system would incorporate such supplementary info, but I can live with my current solution of using both systems simultaneously.
Your point of reference is mostly against previous Volvo navigation, at least per your post. I can't speak to that. I can say that the current new Volvo XC90 handles navigation and traffic worse than my Hondas. And far worse than Waze. And I'm not the only person to report that. Of course some of this may come down to where you use the car. I primarily drive in the greater New York city area with road trips to other parts of the Northeast and Pennsylvania. Perhaps it is better in other parts of the country. In these parts, the traffic "routing" has been completely useless -- and by that I mean it has never worked. I have yet to ever have it route me around traffic, period. It shows traffic, though even that is often out of date compared to Waze info. But it doesn't matter what you have it set to -- ask to re-route or automatically re-route -- it never diverts around the traffic it shows. When I had it set to ask for a couple trips, it never once asked. For a while I decided to try it anyway and lost over an hour to it sending me straight into traffic jams when Waze had easy alternatives.

I have done thousands of miles of testing now with the Volvo and Waze nav open at the time time to study this. Recently I had the extra benefit of being a passenger on over 10 hours of driving, so I used that lack of focus on driving to really drill into this and play around with the navigation. And it only reinforced everything I have said. There were perfect testing opportunities. For example, there is a section of the drive were were doing where you had two choices of highways that either skirted downtown Albany to the right or the left and re-converged north of the city. One is only slightly less miles than the other and we are well familiar with both as we use either depending on traffic as even a little backup will change the better choice. In this case both Waze and the Volvo showed that the route that was only a mile or two shorter in distance had a traffic jam and that the other route did not. Waze of course recommended the route without it, which frankly is the default choice unless there's a problem because the transitions are also faster so even without traffic in both routes it would be quicker. The Volvo saw a red-line traffic jam and still recommended driving right into it. As soon as we ignored it and chose the other route, the Volvo shaved 10 minutes off the estimated time of arrival. So it clearly knew its recommend route was worse and stuck with it anyway. It was such an obviously dumb decision that I re-checked the settings to make sure it hadn't turned automatic traffic routing off and it still was on.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Your point of reference is mostly against previous Volvo navigation, at least per your post. I can't speak to that. I can say that the current new Volvo XC90 handles navigation and traffic worse than my Hondas. And far worse than Waze. And I'm not the only person to report that. Of course some of this may come down to where you use the car. I primarily drive in the greater New York city area with road trips to other parts of the Northeast and Pennsylvania. Perhaps it is better in other parts of the country. In these parts, the traffic "routing" has been completely useless -- and by that I mean it has never worked. I have yet to ever have it route me around traffic, period. It shows traffic, though even that is often out of date compared to Waze info. But it doesn't matter what you have it set to -- ask to re-route or automatically re-route -- it never diverts around the traffic it shows. When I had it set to ask for a couple trips, it never once asked. For a while I decided to try it anyway and lost over an hour to it sending me straight into traffic jams when Waze had easy alternatives.

I have done thousands of miles of testing now with the Volvo and Waze nav open at the time time to study this. Recently I had the extra benefit of being a passenger on over 10 hours of driving, so I used that lack of focus on driving to really drill into this and play around with the navigation. And it only reinforced everything I have said. There were perfect testing opportunities. For example, there is a section of the drive were were doing where you had two choices of highways that either skirted downtown Albany to the right or the left and re-converged north of the city. One is only slightly less miles than the other and we are well familiar with both as we use either depending on traffic as even a little backup will change the better choice. In this case both Waze and the Volvo showed that the route that was only a mile or two shorter in distance had a traffic jam and that the other route did not. Waze of course recommended the route without it, which frankly is the default choice unless there's a problem because the transitions are also faster so even without traffic in both routes it would be quicker. The Volvo saw a red-line traffic jam and still recommended driving right into it. As soon as we ignored it and chose the other route, the Volvo shaved 10 minutes off the estimated time of arrival. So it clearly knew its recommend route was worse and stuck with it anyway. It was such an obviously dumb decision that I re-checked the settings to make sure it hadn't turned automatic traffic routing off and it still was on.
My postings in this forum as regards nav system functionality have been based on the (perhaps erroneous) assumption that, underneath the GUI skin differences, the maps and routing algorithms sourced from HERE (formerly Navteq) in the 2016 XC90 and 2015.5 Sensus Connect-equipped models are essentially identical. The obviously different and less satisfactory experiences you have had would make me want to reconsider that assumption. I have found the RTI information and resultant rerouting to be quite satisfactory and consistent, the erroneous routing issues resulting from the most recent software upgrade notwithstanding.

I am very familiar with the Albany split, since I frequently drive between NE and upstate NY and have to decide between the eastern and western routes around Albany. The mileage difference between the two routes is negligible. However. ongoing road construction projects on both routes have caused frequent dynamic changes in traffic congestion, which seems to vary from day to day and even hour to hour. I suspect it would be difficult if not impossible for any nav system, in-dash or portable, to keep up with the complexity of the variables. Having used both Waze and Volvo on these routes, it is impossible for me to say that either is wholly better at avoiding the frequently changing slow-downs and back-ups in this area. Neither of them seems to have a predictive capability. Of course, your mileage can and apparently does vary.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think the 2016 XC90 Sensus nav system is the same algorithms of the previous Volvo's at all. Certainly the behavior is different. The 2016 model is extremely buggy still.

To be clear about my Albany example, my point was in this case the Volvo itself showed a traffic jam on the Eastern loop and showed no traffic jam on the Western route but still recommended the Eastern route. We took the Western route as Waze recommended and even before we had traveled any distance on the Western route as soon as the Volvo recognized that we hadn't gone the Eastern way and recalculated for the Western route it shaved 10 minutes off the ETA estimate. Which means that the Volvo realized that the Western route was quicker but still tried to route us directly into the traffic jam it was reporting and not the route it didn't report a traffic jam. I am certain there is a bug with the nav system in my version at least that is not properly routing based on its traffic information. This is one of dozens of examples I have encountered and there is not a single example where it clearly did route around traffic or asked my if I wanted it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts