SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided enough was enough with my cloudy headlights and decided to do some research on how to fix them properly.

Tools Required

- Flathead Screwdriver
- 400, 800, 1000, 2000 grit sandpaper
- A Bowl
- Carwash Concentrate
- Clean Spray Bottle
- Spar Urethane (Minwax Helmsman 1 qt. Clear Gloss Spar Urethane)
- Odorless Mineral Spirits
- 60mL measuring spoon
- Small bowl
- 3 Microfiber Clothes

Instructions

Take the 2 metal guides from your headlights and remove them. Next take the Flathead Screwdriver and pop the red clip open that connects the headlight. Remove the headlight from the vehicle.

Put your headlight on the surface you are going to work on it. Mix a bit of carwash concentrate in your spray bottle and fill with water (mixture doesn't really matter, just make sure it bubbles). Clean the headlights with the carwash spray and one of the microfiber clothes.

Next comes the wet-sanding. Put your 400 grit sandpaper in a bowl filled with water for 2-3 minutes before using it. Once it is ready, spray the headlights with some more soapy water and use the wet 400 grit sandpaper to sand down the light. Go in circles, side to side, top to bottom, etc. You are going to want to have 4-5 complete passes on the light before you move on to the next grit. Continually spray the light with soapy water and dip your sandpaper in water to assure that you are wet-sanding. Use the microfiber rag your initially cleaned the light with to clean it again. Repeat this process with each of the other grits of sandpaper (800, 1000, 2000).

The light is going to look cloudy during this process (especially during the 400 grit and 800 grit), but don't sweat it. Just make sure that the yellowing is gone.

Once the light is done with wet-sanding, you are going to use the spar urethane and odorless mineral spirits to UV protect the light. First, you are going to want to grab a fresh microfiber cloth and coat it in straight odorless mineral spirits. Clean any residue off the light with said cloth.

Next, you are going to mix 60mL Spar Urethane with 60mL Odorless Mineral Spirits in a small bowl. Mix this together (I used the screwdriver to do so). Then dip your last clean microfiber cloth in this mixture and begin to apply. Get a good coat on the lights, and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. Apply a 2nd coat and let it dry for 10-12 hours.

Re-install the headlights.

Your headlights now look as if they just came out of the factory. Overall cost (assuming you have some of the things like rags, bowls, carwash concentrate, etc): $35-40 at Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/Etc. with a ton left over (sandpaper, spar urethane, and odorless mineral spirits).

·
Registered
200 Posts
or you could get the 3M kit for $20 and it works nice as well :)..great idea though, never thought putting a kit together like this

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
jbchickenhead: Good info. Thanks. I also have migrated to a similar non-kit process, though I stop sanding at around 800 grit. (I haven't seen 1000/2000 in my shopping) And for my final coating I use something I buy in a pump bottle ... BLUEMAGIC Headlight Lens Sealer. Works pretty well, and the sealer can be easily used as a "maintenance" application periodically.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Sometimes just a drill, pad, and rubbing compound works well. Depends on the damage. I had to sand mine down to 400 and back up to 2k and then rubbing compound and polish. There are uv protectors to prevent future damage but I find that going over them with rubbing compound and polish every few months works well.

That's after I bought it.

And that's after sanding it to 400 and back up to polishing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts