SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

441 - 460 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there any recommend number? the 5wp33504 works but. Wich one is recommended 01/02/03/04? Are they the same even if the comes from a V8 or 3.2?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Really nice thread, contemplating this. Are there anythings to be weiry about doing this? I am running a K16 and struggling bad for grip, initially thinking of getting a Limited Slip Diff but quite interested in this and to work out a rough cost for it to compare if its worth it. Are there any limitations for power at all on these?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Really nice thread, contemplating this. Are there anythings to be weiry about doing this? I am running a K16 and struggling bad for grip, initially thinking of getting a Limited Slip Diff but quite interested in this and to work out a rough cost for it to compare if its worth it. Are there any limitations for power at all on these?
Dom, talk to that fella from UK who did AWD conversion on Focus, he used Kuga 4x4 parts and XC V8 haldex controller iirc, that should give you some indication. That thread is mostly about upgrading our AWD gen2 controller to gen3 controller on actual AWD cars, not sure if you will get much info about FWD->AWD conversion here. (or maybe someone will point you to c30crew forum with C30 4x4 converasion aswell...) :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do you have a link to that thread?
I meant "that thread you are reading now" :)
the other one (c30 4x4 ) is on C30 forum (c30crew I think?), dont have link to it but someone might chip in and post it for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AWD D.E.M. Swap

Hello,

I have successfully swapped the D.E.M with the PN 5WP33504-01 from a salvaged 3.2L XC90 into Leia. Leia is my proud and first project, she is a White 2006 S40 T5 AWD with an automatic transmission and 136,347 miles. She is a little dirty right now. White wall letters, window tint, muffler delete, and a couple other things.

Initially upon installation, I was worried as I can 100% confirm that the newer module did not have the copper coil that my O.E.M. had inside of it.( I forgot to take pictures but you would know what copper coil I mean if you do this). I thought this would not work but decided to install it anyway.

Following Michael's @MyNameIdeasWereTaken installation instructions I completed the swap. I can confirm that indeed my car became a totally different animal. The rear tires instantly spun from a stop if you're even a little harsh on the throttle. Around a bend, if you go to fast the rear wheels kick out. I was a little terrified for a minute then grinning ear to ear.

Prices
-$142.56 (5WP33504-01 D.E.M. from Ebay)
-$0 Allen keys (already had)
-$48.34 (Rhinogear ramps from Walmart)
-$6.36 (Rhinogear wheel chocks from Walmart)

Total= $ 197.26 Post Colorado Tax

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKBXqJ3nm1TsYKkj9

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hello,

I have successfully swapped the D.E.M with the PN 5WP33504-01 from a salvaged 3.2L XC90 into Leia. Leia is my proud and first project, she is a White 2006 S40 T5 AWD with an automatic transmission and 136,347 miles. She is a little dirty right now. White wall letters, window tint, muffler delete, and a couple other things.
Congrats, lucky you. The same p/n didnt work on my 2005 :((
just for the future reference - can you confirm p.n on your OLD haldex controller, and confirm if your car is equipped with DSTC button on the dash?

thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not have the DSTC button on my 2006 AWD AT model.

The old D.E.M. part number is 5WP22227-01 and HAP511. It is important to note that this D.E.M. did have a copper coil inside and the newer D.E.M. from the XC90 did not.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I do not have the DSTC button on my 2006 AWD AT model.

The old D.E.M. part number is 5WP22227-01 and HAP511. It is important to note that this D.E.M. did have a copper coil inside and the newer D.E.M. from the XC90 did not.
Thanks
Cant find my old pics with Pn of my OEM haldex unit (I *think* I also have *2227 at the end), but I also had a case of "my unit has coil, newer does not). Apparently it doesnt matter anyway.
main difference though is that I do have DSTC. Another succesful swap I remember was also a non-dstc car.
Can anybody recall any succesful swap to the car with DSTC?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anyone do this upgrade on a facelift model? I have a 2010 s40 t5 m66. I only tried one DEM with p/n 5WP33504-01 from an 07 (supposedly an XC90 but my buddy wasnt 100% sure). Either way it didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ive got myself a haldex controller. Found one near me

its a 5WP22228-02, ill be fitting this on a 05 manual with DSTC

Some funny thing ive found. On the brochure of the XC90 here in the netherlands the brochure says from 2006 and up the instant traction comes as a standard on all XC90's

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ive got myself a haldex controller. Found one near me

its a 5WP22228-02, ill be fitting this on a 05 manual with DSTC

Some funny thing ive found. On the brochure of the XC90 here in the netherlands the brochure says from 2006 and up the instant traction comes as a standard on all XC90's
Really interested in your result, literally the same p/n and car model as mine.
let us know when tested, thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm curious if the people that are having the issue with the DSTC have the button by the gearstick or have the control option on the indicator stalk?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm curious if the people that are having the issue with the DSTC have the button by the gearstick or have the control option on the indicator stalk?

Basically you are asking if its pre-FL model of FL model as to my knowledge 2005-2008 had DSTC beside gearstick, latter - in stalk. That would also make it irrelevant as FL model had gen3 anyway (*IIRC) so...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Basically you are asking if its pre-FL model of FL model as to my knowledge 2005-2008 had DSTC beside gearstick, latter - in stalk. That would also make it irrelevant as FL model had gen3 anyway (*IIRC) so...[/QUOTE]

I have a 2007 with the DTSC control in the stalk, so that can't be correct.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine is a pre face-lift (2006) and also have the DTSC control on the stalk also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So... I /think/ my car doesn't have DTSC, or even STC. It seems to have been pretty bare bones spec -- 06 T5 AWD, no BLIS, base radio, cloth seats, no remote start, etc. Looking through the stalk "wheel" menu I see nothing but MPG displays and the like, and there's no switch for either on the center console down by the cup holders. So I don't have anything to disable, yes?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Mine is a pre face-lift (2006) and also have the DTSC control on the stalk also.

Huh.... I stand corrected!
odd, though, as I saw cars up to 2007 here (in Ireland) with button still beside the gearstick.
maybe market specific or something or maybe engine type related (you dont have diesels there I suppose?)...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Most of ours are Jap imports there where a few sold here new but nothing major number wise. Basically everything is auto, fwd and 2.4 with a few exceptions like mine which is a 2.5t awd but still auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

Sadly the part 5wp33504-01 stopped working on my car.

I am looking to sell it for $149 plus shipping to the middle 48 states.

441 - 460 of 503 Posts