SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've had my car for just over 6 months and I'm ready to commit to some performance upgrades.

I've found a few "complete power packages" and wanted to get your thoughts.

Elevate has a package with Downpipe, Exhaust, intake and program for $3400.00 ish
EuroSport has a "Stage 3 Package" that includes the same as elevate for $2800.00 ish
IPD doesn't have a complete package so it looks like they could only help with with the exhaust and downpipe.

am I missing any other venders
is it worth parting and piecing these things together

HELP

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I think you'd be better off piecing together.
Have a custom exhaust made up.
DP from a trusted vendor.
There are many threads discussing each users experiences and many pictures. It's a bit of reading, but what have you been doing while waiting?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Piecing it together may be cheaper but you need to check a lot of options. My exhaust was custom made for only $600 and downpipe was about $400. So it was a lot cheaper than most store bought pieces.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Piecing it together may be cheaper but you need to check a lot of options. My exhaust was custom made for only $600 and downpipe was about $400. So it was a lot cheaper than most store bought pieces.
Was it mandrel bent and 3"?

I think combining RaceS60R's DP and EST's cat (on-sale) for $1350...both high quality mandrel bent

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Piece everything together. Then the mods are "yours". My Exhaust is "mine", no one fabbed it for me. My intake is "mine" no one fabbed it together. I just like the integrity of saying I pieced it together and it's custom, gives you more self gratification if you do it and you wallet will be ALOT thicker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the thing i'm afraid of about custom pieces (downpipes and exhausts) is that I won't notice an HP gain. At least with a Mass Produced product, I know that the r&d has gone into it and proven.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Most exhaust systems don't increase a lot of horsepower, so custom route is fine - just remember, mendrel bends and no crush bends and the least bends the better. DP is where you'll find significant increase, mostly in torque and RPM holdings. Once you add one, you'll see when shifting that the RPM doesn't drop as much so sustained power is a lot better - custom will work fine because our turbo is in the rear of the motor and its like a 30degree angle shot to connect to the exhaust. Tune, well, do your home work!! Make sure you're ready for it and make sure you communicate well with whomever you choose to create the profiles - tell them everything, exhaust work, size, DP, size, TCV changes, wastegate changes, etc.

Power packages with Elevate and EST are fine, there's isn't one with iPD but you can create one in the shopping cart. Tune, IMO, should be the last thing you do, budget wise, unless you don't mind multiple maps (Autotech/Elevate/BSR/RiCA are flash based tunes, ARD and iPD are ECU programmed tunes, though ARD will release a flash base setup soon). So build the DP, exhaust if you want and get a FMIC, maybe a aftermarket TCV if you want, then tune it. Most companies charge for a remap, so everytime you upgrade your car after your tune, you'll need it readjusted, so budget wise is easier to tune after.

R&D of DP isn't too big of a deal, go 3" and make sure good metal/welds are used/done. R&D of exhaust is true, however, custom isn't too much science, again, my opinion.

GL!

·
Registered
691 Posts
What's your budget? If I where you, I would get a tune a DP and since your in Pennsylvania I'd talk to Matt at Phuzzy Motorsports and get a front mount intercooler.. I would say get IPD tune down pipe and thn get the FMIC. Cat back and air filter I'd do later...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts