SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally managed to pull out my plugs carefully without breaking all the coil connector clips. Thanks to the help from this community.

These spark plugs done some 30k miles and I was wondering if anyone can comment on their condition. I noticed that on plugs 3, 4 and 5, there were some light red deposits on the ceremic insulator. Is that a good sign?

Anyway, I have replaced all plugs and coils and power is back! Many thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Red dots and/or red blotching is typically caused by octain boosters and/or fuel additives. Long as its not covering the point its not effecting your performance.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
"reading" plugs is pretty much obsolete with modern EFI and O2 sensors. Did you check the gap in the old plugs? I had slight misfires under heavy throttle on my 25k spark plugs, the gap had opened to .034" from the .028" I install them at, and of course with new plugs the misfire went away. The lesson I take away from this is to change plugs at the first sign of misfire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The red blotches must be from the Redline fuel system cleaner I used once many months back. It seems like it did not clean through injectors 1 and 2 - can't really conclude.

The gaps are still around .025", gapped from factory. My idle was rough and dropped momentarily when placed into D or R. I changed the plugs and coils and now have a smooth idle and revs hard to redline under load. I also noticed that a ECM reset by taking the battery terminal off for some time helped. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts