SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been determined that a MBC or EBC cannot be used because the ECU will fight everything the controller is doing.

Some guy on VS made a post that said all you have to do with these is unplug the factory TCV and reset the ECU for a Greddy Profec B to work perfectly in an '05 R.

Could this be true? If the Controller is maintaining proper boost levels (albeit higher, likely), could the R be happy with a disconnected TCV? I know it won't set a code for just having the TCV disconnected from the wiring harness (months of driving a dog of an R confirmed this
). At first, the car would run poorly with the TCV disconnected, but it quickly adapts.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

http://www.s60r.com/forums/ind...=3039

Heh, just noticed that the thread was really on S60R.com, and that one of our locals was the thread starter

One of the dudes that said he was using it was mwal. He said he's got an '05, and he first ran into limp mode for four days before unplugging the factory tcv, resetting the ECU, and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Link please?

I;ve had a AVEC-r and Proflec sitting here for so long from my evo8.

Oh, you've got to try one then. I had about 4 overboost situations a couple weekends ago, and the R goes right into limp mode. But if it works without the TCV, the ECU won't even need to go into limp mode. Wow, how cool would this be? Probably too cool

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Re: (JoeLvo)

Quote, originally posted by JoeLvo »

Oh, you've got to try one then. I had about 4 overboost situations a couple weekends ago, and the R goes right into limp mode. But if it works without the TCV, the ECU won't even need to go into limp mode. Wow, how cool would this be? Probably too cool

I've overboosted before, right to 1.9 bar.

I'll do some reading.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

wow, that is my original post on s60r.com from a March 07. I have not been to that site in forever, I thought it was dead.

On the upside, cool if it works.

On the downside, the other benefits of our ECU upgrades are lost. The tune we get encompasses more than just higher boost...

Perhaps our ECU is smart enough to just utilize the higher boost and take care of itself?

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Subscribed!

If you are bypassing the TCV, there is absolutely NOTHING that the ECU can do to control your boost, but what it can do is screw with the timing and fuel and throw a CEL. Needless to say, I am very eager to hear more about this, but I certainly wouldn't try it without having a wide-band O2 sensor to monitor my real-time air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I will have to try this with a MBC but I doubt this will work. I spent a lot of time raising the boost on my 02 2.4T with a MBC to levels above stock, and although my setup worked it would not work with cruise control on. I believe our ECU can calculate HP and TQ and upon seeing above normal levels it goes into limp mode.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: (crimnlmnded)

The car will run and get you to where your going if tcv is unplugged but the boost wont come in nice at all. i must say myself that the HD TCV from ipd is nice... dont use a manual boost controller. its the wrong way to make more power. what you need is a good flash from unitronic or ipd or any one of the many others. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Re: Read a post from a guy on VS about Electronic Boost Controllers (JoeLvo)

An EBC can be used, and I believe MTE / IPD can tune the car for it. Plus point is that boost peaks are very reliable and constant. However, the EBC does not allow the ECM to go into limp mode (lowered boost) when it needs to to save the engine, i.e. you'll get the same boost regardless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.