SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been following this project for a long while now and I'm really interested in it. Looks like the status of it was updated recently but its still in beta stage, BUT Kaplhenke is taking orders now.

Anyone here from Kaplhenke or Re-Volv that can give us insight on this product and some info on how the buying process will work?

Links:
http://www.kaplhenke.com/collection...80/products/2-5l-max-cool-block-reinforcement
https://re-volvparts.com/store/home/87-re-volv-kaplhenke-racing-blockguard-for-25l-s60r-v70r.html

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update from Site:

"We are currently working with Ben @ Re-Volv who is testing our first prototype and once we have verified that the guard will work as expected we will make them available, we are aiming to start accepting orders in late October. We will be sure to post our results as we see them.

1/13/16 Update: Over 4,000 miles have been put on the test block with a variety of driving conditions including long idling in hot weather, high boost runs, and cold starts. The setup is currently running 22 psi on a 58mm Precision turbo (~400 whp). We have seen no issues thus far.

Milestones with the test car.

Out flowed factory AMM @ 18 psi, installed 3.5" AMM
Out flowed New Volvo S60R fuel pump @ 20 psi, installed DW300 pump"

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
if you didn't notice, they had a thread here a couple months ago and it disappeared out of the blue. dont know why but its gone without a trace. i personally would not go this route due to having to ship your block to them and get machined. just pull the head one afternoon shove some shims in and call it a day. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
not this again...lol...ok so you want to spend 1000$ on block guard and shims cause that is all they are doing between the sleeves which "YOU" can do your self...they are testing at 22 psi on a 58mm Precision turbo (~400 whp) and have 4000 miles on it..."you can do this on a shimmed block." it proves absolutely nothing, other than people that are clueless will spend money..why ? cause they are clueless...push 600 -700 hp on that block for 10,000. Someone please find me a pic of a T-5 cracked sleeve in block guard area pushing 400 whp. what a joke.

PS: " if you are going to disassemble your block and ship it out anywhere ,it should be getting D
artons."

Saaay Wat???? currently running 22 psi (~400 whp)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
You know that's only the start with that turbo and set up. Ben and Stevo will likely keep tuning it and keep getting more out of it. Eventually a bigger turbo too. They are doing it in steps to have it well documented. Ben doesn't always have time to update the thread on it. I was just in it the other day, his car is fast, very fast.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
not this again...lol...ok so you want to spend 1000$ on block guard and shims cause that is all they are doing between the sleeves which "YOU" can do your self...they are testing at 22 psi on a 58mm Precision turbo (~400 whp) and have 4000 miles on it..."you can do this on a shimmed block." it proves absolutely nothing, other than people that are clueless will spend money..why ? cause they are clueless...push 600 -700 hp on that block for 10,000. Someone please find me a pic of a T-5 cracked sleeve in block guard area pushing 400 whp. what a joke.

PS: " if you are going to disassemble your block and ship it out anywhere ,it should be getting D
artons."

Saaay Wat???? currently running 22 psi (~400 whp)

I opened this thread to find this post. LOL

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
You know that's only the start with that turbo and set up. Ben and Stevo will likely keep tuning it and keep getting more out of it. Eventually a bigger turbo too. They are doing it in steps to have it well documented. Ben doesn't always have time to update the thread on it. I was just in it the other day, his car is fast, very fast.
it is absolutely irrelevant at what or how many stages they get to this higher HP , the weakest link becomes the shims between the sleeves...ben and ben are proving nothing other than stevo is a great tuner, also they will never post their failure.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Dougy, why are you so against this concept? You haven't seen personally what it is capable of, neither have I. There also seems to be a lack of understanding on your part. As Chris mentioned, it's not done yet. We are doing this in stages so we can document the process. I suppose Stevo and I could crank it up to 35psi and see what happens but I would rather discover one weak link at a time, and address said weak link, and then continue to turn it up.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Dougy, why are you so against this concept? You haven't seen personally what it is capable of, neither have I. There also seems to be a lack of understanding on your part. As Chris mentioned, it's not done yet. We are doing this in stages so we can document the process. I suppose Stevo and I could crank it up to 35psi and see what happens but I would rather discover one weak link at a time, and address said weak link, and then continue to turn it up.
Nothing against you or your tuner but if someone wants to upgrade their car like this, its not going to be in stages. theyre gonna want 20 - 35 psi off the bat. not gradually increase.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
no, not at all ben...dont have to boost 35 , put a larger turbo and leave it at 22psi and document 600 awhp for 10,000 mile...500 awhp been accomplished with shims and NO blackguards...so statement like currently running 22 psi (~400 whp) for 4000 miles are a joke

·
Registered
942 Posts
Update from Site:

"We are currently working with Ben @ Re-Volv who is testing our first prototype and once we have verified that the guard will work as expected we will make them available, we are aiming to start accepting orders in late October. We will be sure to post our results as we see them.

1/13/16 Update: Over 4,000 miles have been put on the test block with a variety of driving conditions including long idling in hot weather, high boost runs, and cold starts. The setup is currently running 22 psi on a 58mm Precision turbo (~400 whp). We have seen no issues thus far.

Milestones with the test car.

Out flowed factory AMM @ 18 psi, installed 3.5" AMM
Out flowed New Volvo S60R fuel pump @ 20 psi, installed DW300 pump"
I appreciate your interest in the product. The thread was taken down by Chris because it turned into a sales pitch somehow. Let's NOT let it go there again.

The T5 is working well so far up to this point. We should have some time to tune a bit further this weekend. Next week, I plan on dropping the pan to inspect my rod bearings and make sure the bottom end is still tight AS WELL AS drilling and tapping the factory turbo drain port for a -10 fitting so I can use it to aid the PCV system.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Yeah obviously dude. He's doing it in stages to document it for failures and upgrades to get more power. So then some can say I want X amount of HP, and then Ben or Ben or Nick or someone else can say...you need to do this and that and blah blah blah.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Nooo......:(:mad::facepalm:

I went and gave her a visit yesterday though.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Someone please find me a pic of a T-5 cracked sleeve in block guard area pushing 400 whp.
" Dont forget " I cant wait to see it...;)

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
tapping the factory turbo drain port for a -10 fitting so I can use it to aid the PCV system.
curious, any PCV problem? if not why aid ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah obviously dude. He's doing it in stages to document it for failures and upgrades to get more power. So then some can say I want X amount of HP, and then Ben or Ben or Nick or someone else can say...you need to do this and that and blah blah blah.
Quoted for truth. Ben (2) and Stevo are doing their due diligence now so that down the road when the consumer wants a certain build, they know what to expect. Dougy, it's great that you have pioneered some things in the past, but don't be ignorant and pessimistic because someone else is doing the same thing. From an engineering aspect this is a great design and concept, and I am very interested in seeing where it goes.

·
Registered
942 Posts
curious, any PCV problem? if not why aid ?
None actually, and there has never been a single puff of smoke. Why wouldn't you want a better pcv system?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Quoted for truth. Ben (2) and Stevo are doing their due diligence now so that down the road when the consumer wants a certain build, they know what to expect. Dougy, it's great that you have pioneered some things in the past, but don't be ignorant and pessimistic because someone else is doing the same thing. From an engineering aspect this is a great design and concept, and I am very interested in seeing where it goes.
I don't think doug is trying to be ignorant. i dont think any of us have seen a block crack in any other place than were the shims go and thats why he is asking the questions or stating the information he already has.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.